Taylor Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
i said in Bearcarver Bearcarver 's thread on Taylor Ham that I was going to attempt to reproduce it, and I came pretty close on the first try. My recipe originates from the one posted on Len Poli's site, but was adapted by someone on Marianski's site to use ECA instead of culture for the tanginess. I made an adjustment to the salt in the recipe I followed, as well as substituting sugar for the dextrose called for. Sugar is fine since I'm not fermenting, I just cut the amount of dextrose called for by 30% since sugar is sweeter.

Pork butt .... 1558g
Bacon .... 681g
Salt .... 23.82g
Sugar....6.3g
Cure#1 .... 3.97g
White pepper 5.5g
Port .... 1TBS
ECA .... 10g

The recipe calls for about a 70/30% blend of ground pork butt and bacon ends. I used the fattiest parts of some buckboard bacon I cured for this recipe in place of the bacon ends.
Ground pork and bacon. I ran all the meat through a 4.5mm(medium) plate once.
TL1.jpg

Mixed and stuffed into a couple 3 inch fibrous casings.
TL2.jpg

Since the original Taylor Ham pork roll is not smoked, I just poached the chubs in the SV until they reached 152* IT. Then into a cold water bath and hung to dry a bit.
TL3.jpg

Cut shot after it cooled.
TL4.jpg

Cooking a sample up after a nights rest in the fridge. The piece on the bottom is real Taylor Ham, the top two are mine.
TL5.jpg

TL6.jpg

In a side by side, The real stuff has a little more tang, and is a little saltier, but this recipe nails the Taylor Ham flavor profile.

Some further tasting
TL7.jpg

Last edited:
That looks as close as possible to the authentic thing. Your comparison picture is hard to tell the difference, maybe a little more fatty on the authentic one. Cooked I cannot tell the difference. Excellent work, especially for the first try. Flavor was a little less tangy? Otherwise good? Great job.

Reactions: DougE
i said in Bearcarver Bearcarver 's thread on Taylor Ham that I was going to attempt to reproduce it, and I came pretty close on the first try. My recipe originates from the one posted on Len Poli's site, but was adapted by someone on Marianski's site to use ECA instead of culture for the tanginess. I made an adjustment to the salt in the recipe I followed, as well as substituting sugar for the dextrose called for. Sugar is fine since I'm not fermenting, I just cut the amount of dextrose called for by 30% since sugar is sweeter.

Pork butt .... 1558g
Bacon .... 681g
Salt .... 23.82g
Sugar....6.3g
Cure#1 .... 3.97g
White pepper 5.5g
Port .... 1TBS
ECA .... 10g

The recipe calls for about a 70/30% blend of ground pork butt and bacon ends. I used the fattiest parts of some buckboard bacon I cured for this recipe in place of the bacon ends.
Ground pork and bacon.
View attachment 627091

Mixed and stuffed into a couple 3 inch fibrous casings.
View attachment 627092

Since the original Taylor Ham pork roll is not smoked, I just poached the chubs in the SV until they reached 152* IT. Then into a cold water bath and hung to dry a bit.
View attachment 627093

Cut shot after it cooled.
View attachment 627094

Cooking a sample up after a nights rest in the fridge. The piece on the bottom is real Taylor Ham, the top two are mine.
View attachment 627095
View attachment 627096

In a side by side, The real stuff has a little more tang, and is a little saltier, but this recipe nails the Taylor Ham flavor profile.

Some further tasting
View attachment 627097
That is a fantastic looking sausage. Nice work bud. For those who know, that’s good eats right there. Nice work Sir.

That looks as close as possible to the authentic thing. Your comparison picture is hard to tell the difference, maybe a little more fatty on the authentic one. Cooked I cannot tell the difference. Excellent work, especially for the first try. Flavor was a little less tangy? Otherwise good? Great job.
I think maybe on the real stuff, they grind the fat through a smaller plate. In the pics, I don't think the real has more fat than mine, but I do see more distribution of fine fat particles.

And yes, a little less tangy and slightly less salty, but the overall flavor profile is about dead on.

Reactions: MJB05615
I think maybe on the real stuff, they grind the fat through a smaller plate. In the pics, I don't think the real has more fat than mine, but I do see more distribution of fine fat particles.

And yes, a little less tangy and slightly less salty, but the overall flavor profile is about dead on.
That's great. you can now have Taylor Ham whenever you like. Again, great job. Less salty is always a good thing, right?

From my screen its hard to distinguish between the original and the homemade. It looks fabulous.

Point for sure
Chris

Great job on that! And on the spinner ride! And still no idea on the taste since I've never had it but as said...visually not much different.

Ryan

Great job on that! And on the spinner ride! And still no idea on the taste since I've never had it but as said...visually not much different.

Ryan
Thanks! Just make a batch for yourself and you will know what it tastes like, or at least pretty close to what the real deal tastes like.

That looks fantastic , and like others said you nailed the look of it , and I'm sure the taste follows . I've had some interest in making it myself . Then I found out I can buy it local 5 minutes from the house .
Nice work man .

ok what is this...
Port wine .

That looks fantastic , and like others said you nailed the look of it , and I'm sure the taste follows . I've had some interest in making it myself . Then I found out I can buy it local 5 minutes from the house .
Nice work man .
Thanks. chop. I can also buy it at $11.99 a pound. The meat for the pork and bacon ran me 99 cents a pound, and the rest is mainly labor.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky