Taylor Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not sure how close you want to get but I am of the opinion that ECA is not really a sub for the flavor you get by fermenting with a lacto culture. Beats nothing tho
I intend to try fermented version at some point, but the ECA did get pretty close. The I got a decent tanginess with ECA, but the real fermented stuff has a somewhat "deeper" tang, if that makes any sense. Not necessarily stronger, but the fermented tang has more, depth to it's flavor profile? At any rate, I won't have any problem eating what I made in this first run, and close enough to call Taylor Ham, for sure.

Great job and congrats on the feature on the carousel.
I've never had the original (that I recall) unless we picked it up for breakfast when traveling the east coast.

Growing up I remember a ham loaf Mom bought at the meat counter in the grocery stores. I wonder if that was close.

Cheers

Reactions: DougE
Growing up I remember a ham loaf Mom bought at the meat counter in the grocery stores. I wonder if that was close.
I doubt it. Taylor ham has a unique bacon/ham flavor with a tanginess something like summer sausage. There isn't much out there with a similar flavor profile. Fried bologna is about the closest, but it doesn't bring a tanginess and bacon flavor to the table.

Reactions: Bearcarver
I doubt it. Taylor ham has a unique bacon/ham flavor with a tanginess something like summer sausage. There isn't much out there with a similar flavor profile. Fried bologna is about the closest, but it doesn't bring a tanginess and bacon flavor to the table.
Now, right there Mr. Doug! You swerved into something that has piqued my interest. A fermented bologna! That’s for sure on my to do list. Thanks!

I believe it was a similar product. Probably a knock off of Jersey pork roll. Sadly it went away in the 70's leading me to think it was a Swift Packing plant product.

I intend to try fermented version at some point, but the ECA did get pretty close. The I got a decent tanginess with ECA, but the real fermented stuff has a somewhat "deeper" tang, if that makes any sense. Not necessarily stronger, but the fermented tang has more, depth to it's flavor profile? At any rate, I won't have any problem eating what I made in this first run, and close enough to call Taylor Ham, for sure.
Yes, I would agree with you and say the tang is deeper with a ferment. I think it is a bit more natural tasting as well. Sounds to me the main player is the use of bacon. Sounds tasty.

Dropped a test chub in the SV about an hour ago . Already had it mixed up for bologna , but added T-SPX and hung over night at 65 degrees . Took some good color .
No bacon ( I agree , that's key ) so I added couple drops of maple extract and a bit of liquid smoke . I did use Tender Quick .
We'll see .

I believe it was a similar product. Probably a knock off of Jersey pork roll.
I've never had the original (that I recall) unless we picked it up for breakfast when traveling the east coast.

Cheers

Not even close. I've had them both many times. Nothing similar, except they're both "Meat colored".

Bear

Last edited:
Is the maple note in this stuff strong? Not a fan of maple hams/bacon and am one of the weird guys that plate pancakes separate so no mingling. :emoji_laughing:

chopsaw chopsaw What spices you use? I think WP solo is little too barnyard. Poli using port makes me think mace or nutmeg. I also think mustard seed is a player from digging around. Some good info here on for legit swiss cervelat: https://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5521

What spices you use?
Sam , I already had 8 pounds of the Lyoner mixed up . Used Tender Quick for the cure on all 8 pounds . I just culled out 2 lbs. . Added the culture and hung over night . The Maple and liquid smoke to take place of the bacon . I don't expect it to be pork roll , but we'll see . It's cooked , hanging in the kitchen .

Reactions: zwiller
Sam , I already had 8 pounds of the Lyoner mixed up . Used Tender Quick for the cure on all 8 pounds . I just culled out 2 lbs. . Added the culture and hung over night . The Maple and liquid smoke to take place of the bacon . I don't expect it to be pork roll , but we'll see . It's cooked , hanging in the kitchen .
Sounds great. I bet it ends up like you say when your aim for one thing but end up making something different you like better. 8lbs Lyoner?! You must REALLY like that formula. You got cardamom in this run?

@dougi need to do something interesting and new for me. Problem is, I can't walk very much and I can't move my grinder to use it. So I had the idea what if I used store bought ground pork and I just diced bacon as small as I could. I know it wouldn't be the same. All I want to do is get my feet wet, and start making some summer sausage. I don't expect much the first time anyway.

Would this at least work, turn out edible, or would I just be disappointed. I have never had Taylor Ham so nothing to compare it with anyway?

And what is ECA?

@dougi need to do something interesting and new for me. Problem is, I can't walk very much and I can't move my grinder to use it. So I had the idea what if I used store bought ground pork and I just diced bacon as small as I could. I know it wouldn't be the same. All I want to do is get my feet wet, and start making some summer sausage. I don't expect much the first time anyway.

Would this at least work, turn out edible, or would I just be disappointed. I have never had Taylor Ham so nothing to compare it with anyway?

And what is ECA?
I suppose you could dice the bacon as finely as possible, and it might work, but I'd run it through a medium plate if possible.

ECA= encapsulated citric acid. This is used in sausages , such as summer, to give that characteristic tanginess, and works decently to get the tang in Taylor Ham.

I suppose you could dice the bacon as finely as possible, and it might work, but I'd run it through a medium plate if possible.

ECA= encapsulated citric acid. This is used in sausages , such as summer, to give that characteristic tanginess, and works decently to get the tang in Taylor Ham.
I can't get the grinder out of where it is stored and I can't carry it on crutches. I'll think of something else to do. I appreciate your perspective.

And what is ECA?
Your plan can work. Dice the bacon as fine as is reasonable. This is common in old world recipes. Using pre ground meat is perfectly acceptable. DougE DougE has already explained what ECA is. Just make sure you mix it in at the last. When the meat reaches 130-140*F the ECA will activate and acidify the sausage. By all means give it a go.

I’m intrigued by this, but the original post says it’s not smoked. It’s hard to imagine that. How are ham and bacon taste descriptors if it isn’t smoked? The recipe posted doesn’t list any smoke alternatives(beyond the bacon fat).

Sounds like spam in a tube.

Not knocking it. Just trying to “get” it.

I may make some either way.

Jbo

How are ham and bacon taste descriptors if it isn’t smoked? The recipe posted doesn’t list any smoke alternatives(beyond the bacon fat).
30% of the grind is bacon. The smokiness and the bacon flavor from it come through in the finished product.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky