Taylor Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks very good! I like it fried to with cheese. I'm the only one that eats it here. Wife deems it "gross". And since it has gone up to 9.00 a roll. I haven't had it in a while.
Might try doing this. But cut the recipe in half. Thanks for posting this.

Reactions: MJB05615 and DougE
I’m intrigued by this, but the original post says it’s not smoked. It’s hard to imagine that. How are ham and bacon taste descriptors if it isn’t smoked? The recipe posted doesn’t list any smoke alternatives(beyond the bacon fat).

Sounds like spam in a tube.

Not knocking it. Just trying to “get” it.

I may make some either way.

Jbo

Pork Roll (Taylor Ham) is nothing like Spam.
I love Spam & Pork Roll, but they are totally different.
The closest I can think of would be Fried Bologna & Pork Roll.
As for some Pork Roll not being smoked, it doesn't sound as strange, when you find out that Many folks don't smoke Canadian Bacon, either.

Bear

Reactions: MJB05615 and DougE
I think I’m gonna make this, but also think I can’t do it without a little smoke. Just gotta finish a bathroom tear out/remodel for my daughter first.

Jbo

Reactions: DougE
I think I’m gonna make this, but also think I can’t do it without a little smoke. Just gotta finish a bathroom tear out/remodel for my daughter first.

Jbo
Some versions of pork roll are smoked, so that's fine to do.

Jbo

I can't blame you for that.
I like it much better smoked!

Bear

I plan to make a slightly modified version this weekend and have a couple of questions.

Did you let it cure overnight in the refrigerator?

In the SV, how do you know when it hits IT?

I plan to make a slightly modified version this weekend and have a couple of questions.

Did you let it cure overnight in the refrigerator?

In the SV, how do you know when it hits IT?
If you're using encapsulated citric acid for your tang, it also acts as a cure accelerator. You can process in SV, or smoke right after stuffing. If you're fermenting, I think the ferment time would be long enough to let the cure do it's thing since it's disbursed throughout the grind. SmokinEdge SmokinEdge may want to check me on that, but I believe that's correct.

On the temp check, I used a big ziplock with my chubs in it, and started checking for finish temp after a 90 minute bath in the SV at 160* . If it ain't there yet, expel the air and let it go awhile longer. Mine hit temp at around 2 hours.

Last edited:
On the temp check, I used a big ziplock with my chubs in it, and started checking for finish temp after a 90 minute bath in the SV at 160* . If it ain't there yet, expel the air and let it go awhile longer. Mine hit temp at around 2 hours.
I'm still not getting it. Do you leave the casing open so you can put the probe in the meat?

I just used an instant read pushed through the casing starting about 90 minutes after the chubs went in the SV. Mine weren't quite done yet, so I sealed the bag back up and let them go about another 30 minutes and checked again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky