1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Tasty and fast Meat Stix

Discussion in 'Pork' started by Led Freddie, Jul 7, 2019.

1. I had half a pork butt staring me in the face and crying out for attention. I've been wanting to make some meat stix snacks for a while and it felt like time to do it. I've seen many recipes to pepperoni but wanted instant gratification so I took a favorite sausage recipe and twisted it.

Ingredients
    1 pound of pork butt
    pink 1/8 tsp
    kosher salt 5 tsp
    brown sugar 2 tsp
    course grind Blk. pepper 1 tsp
    granulated garlic 1 tsp
    chilli powder 1 tsp
    cracked black pepper 1 tsp
    chioppine pepper flakes 1 tsp
    fennel- ground fresh 1 tsp
    Balsamic vinegar 2 tsp

I par froze the pork and ground on the largest plate I have ( approx 3/8")

I then added the Balsamic vinegar and added the seasoning over the meat covering all of it and covered it in the fridge for 24 hrs.

The next day I pulled it out and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden up, then put it to work through my stuffer with a course faceplate into casings.

I used hickory and preheat my smoker to 110.
    I hung my sticks and let them heat at 110 for 2 hrs.
    Then, upped the heat to 130 for another 2 hrs.
    Finally, 1 more hour at 140.
    They hit 145 quicker than I expected and there seemed little sent of hickory at first. Then I put them in the fridge to bloom.
    20190706_170507.jpg
    While resting the hickory really started to come to life and the casing crinkled nicely. I managed to leave them alone for 2 hours in the fridge before attacking the first one.

20190706_170559.jpg

The marbling is beautiful and there wasnt a single drop of fat that dripped while smoking. Just 2 hours out of the smoker, the texture was a little chewy but ideal. It wasnt dry inside nor was the casing pulling away. The smoke was very apparent and the seasoning makes for a mild bite. The balsamic gives it a nice little tang.

20190706_170817.jpg

18 hours in the fridge and the ziplock bag smells like a smokehouse and the texture has firmed up beautifully. It remains moist and chewy, the way I like it and the chioppine flakes give more than heat, they add to the over all flavor. The cracked pepper gives a nice suprise crunch on occasion.

The only thing I regret is we had people over last night and the wife pulled out two sticks and cut them up for sampling. Alas, I now have to make a full mansize batch.

You want easy... this is it. No Buttermilk, no fermentation, no drying. Party stix, meat stix... HEAVENLY Stix!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  2. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Look great but I have a question....

Is that "pink 1/2 tsp" in the recipe 1/2 tsp of pink salt (cure #1)? If it is, that is about 2 1/2x the recommended amount for a pound of meat. It's 1 level tsp to 5 pounds. For a pound of meet it should be 1/5 of a tsp or just under 1/4 tsp since a 1/4 tsp is available in some measuring sets. It works out to 1.13 grams per pound if you have a precision scale that will do 1/100th of a gram.

HalfSmoked, Led Freddie and chopsaw like this.
  3. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

The sticks look awesome. But I am concerned with your recipe as noted by dward51

Led Freddie likes this.
  4. Thanks Dave for pointing that out. My typo. I used 1/8th a Tsp. I corrected my typo. thanks.

5. it was a typo.. I've corrected it. It should have read 1/8th. I dont have a gram scale that fine so basically put a half measure of a 1/4 tsp in the mix.

Steve H likes this.
  6. zippy12

zippy12 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Nice Job!

Led Freddie likes this.
  7. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

With that being said. Those sticks look great!

Led Freddie likes this.
  8. smokerjim

smokerjim Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

they look awesome

Led Freddie likes this.
  9. jac63

jac63 Fire Starter

Man those look great, I have been looking for a good snack stick recipe. Do you think a 50/50 mix pork & deer would work? Collagen casings?

Thanks for posting.

Led Freddie likes this.
  10. Yes i used collegen casings. I think the pork and venison combo would be great. I'd be temptedadd some cracked red pepper to it as well if you can find some.

jac63 likes this.
  11. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Awesome looking sticks! Like!

Led Freddie likes this.
  12. mosparky

mosparky Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

How did they get to an IT of 145 with a heat setting of 140 ?

Led Freddie and chopsaw like this.
  13. Good question., im going with heat build up. I use a digital thermometer and always poke the thickest points on each stick.

14. mosparky

mosparky Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Heat bulid up...new one on me. Never heard of it before. To be sure you might want to test your therms and varify the temp in your smoker. At some point in the future it might cause a problem.
    Great looking sausages, by the way. I'm gonna copy that one.

BTW, Nice Sled !!

webs05 and Led Freddie like this.
  15. Funny you mention checking the temps.
    Ive bern watching my onboard thermometer with a wary eye. I had a couple sausage batches burn out the fat. I now keep an oven thermometer inside and my spike thermometer to verify. my on board is running hotter by 5 degrees. I will be watching close as im making a batch of sweet chorizo stix later this week

16. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

LF, Good looking sticks !

17. ab canuck

ab canuck Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Those are some great looking snack sticks there Freddie, Thatss a big like for me!!! Interesting with the balsamic, imagine a nice tang to them. Congrats on the carousel ride.

18. Ive used apple vinegar but the balsamic adds depth of flavor besides the tang. on the carousel, im honoured, thank you.

19. pushok2018

pushok2018 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Nice looking stix! Would you mind to share on casing diameter?

20. SFLsmkr1

SFLsmkr1 Legendary Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice looking sticks.