Tasso Time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
When pork butts went on sale recently, I bought 2 double packs with the intention of making snack stix and tasso. Well, the slabs were finished curing today so I fired up the smoker while I worked in the yard today. Broke a sweat for the first time this year...felt good to be out in the warm spring air with wall to wall sunshine.

I extracted the coppa/neck end roasts out of the butts and set them aside for this run of tasso. I sliced the roasts into slabs just a little thicker than 1/2"; 8 steaks out of each neck roast. Put them to cure for 3-4 days while I made the sticks, fermented and smoked them. I used 1.5% salt an 0.25% cure #1.
IMG_20220418_095738.jpg

IMG_20220418_102029.jpg

Pulled em off the cure this morning then wet the surface of each steak with a mixture of 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce and 1 TBSP. Crystal's hot sauce. Then seasoned with tasso seasoning. It's posted here on SMF just do a search.
IMG_20220420_164220.jpg

IMG_20220420_164228.jpg

Smoked them 120-125 for 2 hours then bumped the heat to 130-140 for another 2 hours, then bumped temp up to 225-235*F to push the INT up to 160*F. When the INT hit 150*F I closed the top dampers 70% to slow evaporative cooling and push the tasso over the finish line. Smoked them for right at 6 hours with oak and hickory chunks. The fat is all ooey gooey and delicious! I started a crock pot with red beans for overnight. Will finish with some sauteed onion, smoke sausage and a little bit of that tasso tomorrow....

Thanks for lookin...if you have never made tasso, add it to your list. So many things you can do with it...

Last edited:
Looks really good Inda.

Point for sure
Chris

this looks good... I'm confused on the coppa/neck end roast part though... and you got 8, 1/2" steaks from each butt ?? I would think there would be nothing left of the butt after that ...

this looks good... I'm confused on the coppa/neck end roast part though... and you got 8, 1/2" steaks from each butt ?? I would think there would be nothing left of the butt after that ...

Each butt weighed about 10# so one the neck end/coppa was removed, the coppa weighed about 4-5#...the other piece had the blade bone in it and weighed about 5-6#.
Here is a video on how to remove the coppa:

Once again, something I’ve never seen. And, once again, indaswamp indaswamp has put another thing on my list. A quick search tells me this usually is not eaten as a main protein but rather cubed and added to dishes. Is that your experience?
Correct. This was usually a very salty and spicy dried meat product for the trappers and fishermen to carrying in the swamps along with beans. All the seasoning needed for the pot was on the meat. Traditionally, tasso was dried extensively for a shelf stable product. Nowadays, it is not dried as much. I usually use half the spice as the original recipe calls for along with the addition of a little brown sugar to round out the spice to serve on a charcuterie board.
Man you are really getting into Charcuterie!
Very cool!
Al
Thanks Al! Been making tasso for years...all the salumi and salami is a new adventure for me though.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I did not finish the redbeans for supper tonight. Mom called and wanted to go out to eat so did that instead. Went to a nice French/Acadian restaurant, Mansurs on the Boulevard. Been years since I have eaten there. Wow is all I have to say! I started off with spinach dip for appetizer, then a bowl of their famous crab and brie soup (I forgot how awesome this soup is!!), and the special tonight was grilled Mahi Mahi (fresh that day) topped with honey glazed grilled gulf shrimp over parmesan risotto with a jalapeno hollandaise sauce. Wow again! perfectly cooked fish, so many different flavors superbly married together! As a super taster, this was a homerun! I sent compliments to the chef as it is not often I am blown away by a meal I eat in a restaurant. This was something special. I won't wait as long before making the next trip there that's for sure! No wonder the place was packed!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky