Talking about grilling with smoke, hot temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brent860

Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Hey guys, I recently bout a new Weber kettle and been loving it, forgot how different flavor was from my propane. I've smoked a few things on it and they came out great! But what I want to talk about is how many of you add wood chips/chunks to your regular grills like steak and salmon and cooking them at around 350-400. Did it so far with steak and salmon and what a difference! I'm sure I'm not the only one here who does this lol. What's your favorite combos of woods do you guys use with different kinds of meat/poultry/ fish at regular grilling temps. I'll start, just did some salmon with pecan wood chips came out soooooo good!

Hickory shag bark, go easy it don't take much , best flavor I have ever done for grilling

Once flavor pellets came on the scene, I've stopped using chips in my charcoal cookers. I mix them in, so as the fire grows it finds new pellets. Oh, I rarely use all briquettes.... I use lump for the background flavor and briquettes is some cookers to maintain a steady heat.

I don't cook anything without wood (that includes hot dogs and vegetables). Go to are oak, cherry, apple, and hickory in that order, but it's probably a geographical thing.

Old cookie sheet full of pellets in my gas grill. Unlike a slow cook, I don't find the wood variety to make that big a difference. I always have a big bag of PitBoss Competition around so that's what I usually use.

I add wood chips to all cooks: burgers, steaks, pork chops, sausages etc. I put a wood chip smoker box full of whatever wood chips will match up with what I'm cooking. I work on the mantra of add flavour at EVERY step. Who puts a smoke ring on a burger? Me!!!!

Attachments

• 20200403_183834.jpg
    20200403_183834.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: bill1
If I'm doing steaks , I use all wood . No charcoal . Burn it down to coals and put the steaks on . I like oak for this , but I use at least a little mesquite on almost everything . More so with beef .
I also add chunks to the chimney starter and let it burn when doing other meats .

Reactions: Bearcarver
I add wood chips to all cooks: burgers, steaks, pork chops, sausages etc. I put a wood chip smoker box full of whatever wood chips will match up with what I'm cooking. I work on the mantra of add flavour at EVERY step. Who puts a smoke ring on a burger? Me!!!!
If it doesn't have a smoke ring was it even really cooked? :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: PPG1
If I'm doing steaks , I use all wood . No charcoal . Burn it down to coals and put the steaks on . I like oak for this , but I use at least a little mesquite on almost everything . More so with beef .
I also add chunks to the chimney starter and let it burn when doing other meats .

Those Steaks Gotta be Outstanding!!

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
I started throwing hickory chunks in with anything I grill a couple of years ago. It makes a huge difference. My family doesn't know what changed, but they sure did notice the pop of new flavors!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky