Taco Emergency!! Somebody Call Nine Juan Juan (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
We do love our tacos around here. Last night we decided that was what we were craving for dinner (hence the emergency). Problem was that I didn't want the same ol' same ol' beef tacos. Then I remembered that I had some pork left over from the 4 massive bacon chops I smoked last Saturday. The next day they were all put in a huge skillet with some veggie broth, Ro Tel tomatoes w/ habaneros, some minced onion, and a hefty dose of the Mexican spice blend I put together a few months ago. They were let to simmer on low for hours and became a top notch Mexican feast. The meat was super tender the and flavor was amazing. Chopped up a bunch of that last night and put it in a pan with a drizzle of veggie broth just to keep things moist. Cut up some tomatoes, onions, and lettuce to go along with the tacos. Put them together on flour torts and we chowed down!!

The chops out of the smoker last week. No pics of the Sunday dinner I used them for :emoji_disappointed:
20220108_182642 (1)_Fotogenic.jpg

Chopped up last night and into the pan
20220114_171003.jpg

Veggies cut up
20220114_171457.jpg

Start the build. Flour torts and guac. I've found it's easier to spread the guac on the bottom versus globbing it on top
20220114_172620.jpg

Spicy seasoned pork and cheese
20220114_172804.jpg

Lettuce, tomato, and onion
20220114_172908.jpg

Sour cream and cilantro. We're ready to eat
20220114_173029.jpg

These were really good. The depth, richness, and authenticity of the flavoring in the meat was outstanding. Add fresh veggies, guac, vintage aged extra sharp cheddar, and some sour cream, what's not to love? Probably have enough meat left for 2 more of these dinners and it's going to get vac sealed and put in the freezer here in a little while. These were too good to take a chance having that meat go south and get tossed.

Well, thanks for dropping in. You''ll probably get the misfortune of seeing me again tomorrow. Got a brisket going real low and real slow under less-than-perfect conditions and we are at hour 16 right now that it's been on. If it comes out as hoped, it should be really good....fingers crossed :emoji_wink:

Robert

Love me some tacos and yours look phenomenal! I could do some damage to a few of those for sure!

Nice thread my friend, can’t wait to see the briskey!

Looks like my kind of meal Robert. Although I would have filled up that third spot in the holder. It looks lonely. Nice work bud

Sounds good! I've been wanting to try pork for tacos but the Mrs won't have it LOL!
We had tacos last night as well with my first attempt at my own seasoning.
Tacos are like pizza. It's fun to try different layering. I put the lettuce in the bottom last night.
I finally got some holders like that and can't believe we never used them before.

Robert , Those look great ( minus the guacamole , not a fan at all ) and
great way to repurpose the chops. I could go for 1 or 3 of those .But
like we mentioned the roads not that good today for a trip

I have heard you mention your Mexican
spice ,is it posted on here anywhere, to see whats in yours

David

Reactions: bigfurmn
Looks like my kind of meal Robert. Although I would have filled up that third spot in the holder. It looks lonely. Nice work bud
Was my thought too! Robert shows a lot more restraint than me. Tacos are my downfall!
Jim

Love me some tacos and yours look phenomenal! I could do some damage to a few of those for sure!

Thanks Justin. I did manage to down 4 of them along with some tortilla chips and homemade jalapeno ranch sauce.

Some great work Robert, looking forward to seeing your brisket cook.

Appreciate it Ray. Brisket was good and the meal was great all around but not my best effort by a long shot. Was dealing with the elements and it posed some problems with the cook.

YEAP! Looks good!

Thank you sir!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky