Swapping PID in older Pit Boss 820

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BurtonSnol3order

Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
I have a 4 year old Pit Boss 820 and I've begun looking at newer versions, but my grill is really not in bad shape. I am running in to an occasional issue getting it lit or flame outs on overnight smokes, so the newer PID controllers seem very nice. I'd love wifi and I have been looking around at options. Right now my list is the Rec Tec wifi controller as well as the Camp Chef Retro 2nd gen. I know the Camp Chef requires a new temp probe, but other than that... what should I consider when doing this? I am planning on swapping the burn pot and ignitor as well while I have it all apart.

Reactions: kruizer
I've seen that offered, but my 820 has a vertically orientated controller. Not sure how that would work. I've not seen any adapters or anything that would allow it to work.

Last edited:
I can't comment on either of those controllers, but I'm in a similar situation with an 820D3 and I think I'm going to try this:

I can't comment on either of those controllers, but I'm in a similar situation with an 820D3 and I think I'm going to try this:

I contacted RecTec to see what they cost.. but that looks easier in terms of the controller fitting in the stock location rather than having to fab something up

Yeah, I've heard the RecTec is really nice. Can you let me know what they tell you? I had read in a couple places that they weren't selling the controllers anymore without some kind of proof of purchase, but I don't know if it's actually true.

Not sure how this turned out for you, but I wanted to mention checking eBay some. I looked once or twice a day for about 2-3 weeks and ended up finding a RecTec wifi controller for 65 bucks.

I contacted RecTec to see what they cost.. but that looks easier in terms of the controller fitting in the stock location rather than having to fab something up
I want to share what I did and help somebody help. I bought a new PID Wifi Controler SmokeIT CAR-01-PG. I installed it even if my Pitboss was not listed as compatible. I have a Pitboss pellet PB0820FB3 with standard controler (see pic)
I had to cut casing to put the new controller because it is larger. All connectors fits perfectly except the one for the probe. Need to buy the probe with the good connector (PB1000XL-025-R00) . Works very well, much better precise. The Smoke It app works great both Wifi or Bluetooth

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210214-193808_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210214-193808_Chrome.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 48
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky