• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Swapping PID in older Pit Boss 820

Joined Nov 12, 2020
I have a 4 year old Pit Boss 820 and I've begun looking at newer versions, but my grill is really not in bad shape. I am running in to an occasional issue getting it lit or flame outs on overnight smokes, so the newer PID controllers seem very nice. I'd love wifi and I have been looking around at options. Right now my list is the Rec Tec wifi controller as well as the Camp Chef Retro 2nd gen. I know the Camp Chef requires a new temp probe, but other than that... what should I consider when doing this? I am planning on swapping the burn pot and ignitor as well while I have it all apart.

Joined Nov 12, 2020
I've seen that offered, but my 820 has a vertically orientated controller. Not sure how that would work. I've not seen any adapters or anything that would allow it to work.

Last edited:

drmoneejd

Joined Nov 4, 2020
I can't comment on either of those controllers, but I'm in a similar situation with an 820D3 and I think I'm going to try this:

Joined Nov 12, 2020
I can't comment on either of those controllers, but I'm in a similar situation with an 820D3 and I think I'm going to try this:

I contacted RecTec to see what they cost.. but that looks easier in terms of the controller fitting in the stock location rather than having to fab something up

drmoneejd

Joined Nov 4, 2020
Yeah, I've heard the RecTec is really nice. Can you let me know what they tell you? I had read in a couple places that they weren't selling the controllers anymore without some kind of proof of purchase, but I don't know if it's actually true.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.