Surf & Turf Mountain Man Style.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Ok first the scene needs to be properly set.....

The true mountain man canvas homestead....
2353BC61-CB33-45C4-98AD-CD8AACF6E162.jpeg

The homestead always comes with a suitable view from the front porch....
770C0FF2-3AC7-4878-8CB1-013575CB76F0.jpeg

Next it’s mountain man surf shopping....the selection for late season is looking pretty good!
F0C62B17-B3BC-47D3-8708-74FE8227ABF8.jpeg

Fish prices always tend to dive when the mountain man is surf shopping!
46597AAA-88D8-479F-BD14-44DD083F906A.jpeg

The flying fish tend to put up a bit of a fight!
2F276639-1F1A-49D8-95F4-E7DC193DDF78.jpeg

But the two for one special always make for a good day!!!
44321737-E30B-4193-8BB5-5A9C2CDB5395.jpeg

So after a full day of mountain man shopping and helping in keeping Invasive species at bay it’s finally time to get a turf reward for all that hard work.......

The reward.... 7.99/lb T-bone as advertised on the package. Seems to me the butcher needs to read the definition of a porterhouse....
8D845713-EEC6-4212-88C8-6E9819BB7467.jpeg

Put a nice sear on both side in the cast iron.
E66EB342-5C4C-453A-A31D-6973495341A3.jpeg

Now to make it a real reward....butter basting them!
E7C6BBD5-4BB6-42EC-A12F-2192877252EC.jpeg

After they have been butter based both sides....this is cast iron candy!!
C48D5CCE-E9AC-434E-9D27-9CFD268EABC7.jpeg

Mountain man sides....shrooms and onions.
67D9FD02-BD6A-494E-B8FD-D84A1EDDE275.jpeg

The mountain man plate! No greens just meat and seasoned wild rice to soak up any juice.
ED9F9C4F-6A8A-4170-B32C-FD7FBF7A5C74.jpeg

Bingo mountain money!
AB6B7E17-DA81-4B3C-BE86-4392355F6436.jpeg

The puppy dog eyes begging for a piece but the mountain man holds his ground!!!
3AEAC4BA-8620-402C-96AE-2E8AD3D8CD40.jpeg

Thanks for participating in this picture show from the Wild West mountains.....

Last edited:
What an awesome place to camp & feast on T Bone Steak! Looks magnificent.

What sort of fish are those you caught? Are you spearing them or ?

I have never seen fishing line like that before.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Another great post. Well done.

Thanks PC! Had lots of time with no cell service to script it!

LOL... Ya had me going, I was thinking some fine, fresh caught trout.
And then ya hit me with the Carp.

But dang'it boy, did ya ever make up for it with the cast iron steaks.
Yes'sir, some shrooms-n-onions... Great stuff.
Like!

Hey just cause we almost always do gourmet doesn’t mean they all have to...lol!

What an awesome place to camp & feast on T Bone Steak! Looks magnificent.

What sort of fish are those you caught? Are you spearing them or ?

I have never seen fishing line like that before.

Those fish are carp an Invasive species, no limit on how you take them just that you end them when caught.

We are bow fishing. We happen to use a AMS bottle on a PSE 40lb recurve, a kingfisher, we also use a kingfisher boat....no connection.

The fishing line is like a paracord attached to a fiber glass harpoon tipped arrow.

Ps butter cast iron basted meat is some of the best! If you put fresh herbs and garlic cloves in the butter it takes them to another level!

Last edited:
Updated chili

All I can say is they are just nasty!!! This lake was a steelhead wonder and it is being killed by these things!

Last edited:
IH 1026 - thanks for the like! Much appreciated.

Updated chili

All I can say is they are just nasty!!! This lake was a steelhead wonder and it is being killed by these things!
Awesome post!! Love the scenery and of course your doodle along with that steak!! Have you ever smoked the carp? Shame if it is squeezing out the steelhead. They are my favorite fish to catch , they run in the rivers to spawn in the fall near me.

Day on the water , fresh air and a meal like that ,,, I'd be out fast . Looks great . love the camp set up .
I used to rod and reel alot of carp . Fun to catch . Lawn chair , bucket of water and a box of wheaties .

Awesome post!! Love the scenery and of course your doodle along with that steak!! Have you ever smoked the carp? Shame if it is squeezing out the steelhead. They are my favorite fish to catch , they run in the rivers to spawn in the fall near me.

Thanks jcam!

My grandma and aunt use to bottle them.......

bow fishing or “hunting” them is a new found activity that is crazy fun!

Day on the water , fresh air and a meal like that ,,, I'd be out fast . Looks great . love the camp set up .
I used to rod and reel alot of carp . Fun to catch . Lawn chair , bucket of water and a box of wheaties .

Chop, amen to that!! The wall tent is a nice deal. It was 20 degrees at night and having a wood stove to keep that at bay is a dream. Crazy to go from 20 to 60 deg in a day.

Also food just tastes better in the hills!

Reactions: chopsaw
Bow Fishing sounds like great fun, I had never heard of it before.

Carp are a massive problem in one of our biggest rivers, they have found a man made disease to wipe them out but I think they are still trialing it. It is illegal to catch and release carp here too.

Bow Fishing sounds like great fun, I had never heard of it before.

Carp are a massive problem in one of our biggest rivers, they have found a man made disease to wipe them out but I think they are still trialing it. It is illegal to catch and release carp here too.

Look on-line there are tons of vids! My siblings bow fished when I was younger but I just used a spear cause the equipment didn’t work very well, however, the equipment today is top notch! It’s like hunting, cause you spot them, then make a stock, then you have to make the shot adjusting for refraction and all...then you have bring them in by hand the old fashioned way!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jabiru
Great thread CS!
You were a Glamper until the whole carp thing.HAH!
I used to catch quite a few big'uns at one of my catfish holes (on a golf course) and one day an Asian guy golfing,came running up to me and wanted to buy the 30 incher I just fought.TEN DOLLA!TEN DOLLA! I gave it to him,he bowed and left.
Left,as in quit his round of golf and went home.

Great thread CS!
You were a Glamper until the whole carp thing.HAH!
I used to catch quite a few big'uns at one of my catfish holes (on a golf course) and one day an Asian guy golfing,came running up to me and wanted to buy the 30 incher I just fought.TEN DOLLA!TEN DOLLA! I gave it to him,he bowed and left.
Left,as in quit his round of golf and went home.

Glamper......now that’s a fighting word!!! Lol. What one earth do you call a wall tent? That is a castle in these parts.....glamping all the way!

But you got me on the carp... I’m still just a country boy at heart and just giving the boy a proper education of things!!! As he told his mom today...you know there is just something oddly satisfying about that....

Awesome. the dog reminds me of Snoopy.

Thanks Tex, the dog has been a good one! He is 11 now but still a puppy at heart!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky