Surf & Turf Mountain Man Style.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice tent and campsite.
Brother lives in east central Idaho and it is some very scenic country.

Steak to the lake is fun but isn't the point of camping to eat what you catch?

There is a big difference between carp and catfish as far as species.
Never tried carp, but dislike catfish in every way it was cooked for me.
Also not a steel head fan.

Very cool civil!

LIKE!

The wife and I will be glamping (means full hookups) and fishing at Lake Powell starting next Saturday.

Me for 2 weeks and she will be there until the following Sunday (9 days).
Kauai 002.JPG
Kauai 009.JPG
Lake Powell 11-2004 001.jpg

And we do actually eat what we catch - in this case striped bass.

But when I was younger I did catch a lot of carp at a local lake ( wheatie balls with vanilla extract worked great) and left them on the bank for the wildlife as they are a trash fish in my book.

John

Last edited:
Nice tent and campsite.

Just curious. Have you ever had true southern fried catfish either whole or filets. In the south there are restaurants that only serve fried catfish. I think you would like it. I work in MN from time to time. I absolutely love fried or grilled Walleye. Wish we had it down in the south.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Great Post, Civil !!
Nice looking meal, and Great Pics!
Like.

Bow-fishing brings back memories:
I used to Shoot Suckers in Spring every year. I'd get 20 or 30 about 18" to 20" long, Gut them & save the Roe for Broiling & Frying, and I'd give the bodies & guts to my Grandfather. He'd rototill them into his Vegetable Garden.

At that time I was using a Semi-Recurve 66" "West Bow".

Bear

Nice tent and campsite.

Thanks FA! The wall tent is a beautiful thing pretty much my fav way to camp. The wife still likes the trailer but that's why we do both.

When it comes to carp the point is to keep the numbers down any way you can! We catch a LOT of fish during the year and release most of them. We keep just what we can eat fresh.

We do eat every catfish we catch though. Love them but there are two preparation things that are a must! First there is a fat vein or tube thing (I don't know what you call it) down the middle of the filet face. This has to be removed. Not removing this will make them taste like rotten dirt! Second the dark meat on the flesh side need to be trimmed away. Removing this fatty meat will cut the strong fish flavor away and leaves a light white fish flavor.

Just curious. Have you ever had true southern fried catfish either whole or filets. In the south there are restaurants that only serve fried catfish. I think you would like it. I work in MN from time to time. I absolutely love fried or grilled Walleye. Wish we had it down in the south.

Fried catfish can be a quite good! I love both blackened and fried!

Reactions: chopsaw
Marvellous mountain man food from a Canadian Mountain man just north of you! Big like!

Thanks disco! We really weren't too far from that northern border from a relative perspective!

Beautiful scenery and some good looking food too! Glad you’re killing those suckers!

Thanks xray, this camping spot is a fav of ours, I call it the Mtn Man Spa!

Awesome story and a great post. I add butter to steaks all the time even off the Webber. Carp are a pain here too and now we have snake head fish.

Warren

Thanks Warren, we use to do our steaks on the little go anywhere grill but we don't like the "smokey burnt" oil taste that the design yields, and the butter baste cast iron has fully replaced it! Just way better flavor!

Nice write up and pictures. I used to spear and shot them with a air rifle. THen leave them for the turtles.

Thanks Steve! These end up as bear food. There are quite a few bears and raccoons in the area.

Thanks FA! The wall tent is a beautiful thing pretty much my fav way to camp. The wife still likes the trailer but that's why we do both.

When it comes to carp the point is to keep the numbers down any way you can! We catch a LOT of fish during the year and release most of them. We keep just what we can eat fresh.

We do eat every catfish we catch though. Love them but there are two preparation things that are a must! First there is a fat vein or tube thing (I don't know what you call it) down the middle of the filet face. This has to be removed. Not removing this will make them taste like rotten dirt! Second the dark meat on the flesh side need to be trimmed away. Removing this fatty meat will cut the strong fish flavor away and leaves a light white fish flavor.

Fried catfish can be a quite good! I love both blackened and fried!
Our local reservoir has an abundance of 3-5 lbs catfish. It’s a deep crystal clear rock bottom body of water so the cats taste spectacular. I’ve had more than one guest say they don’t like catfish only to devour a few plates of them!

We always let them ( catfish ) swim in clean water for a night , then cleaned as you mentioned .
I've never cleaned or cooked carp , but know guys that can cook it up right . It's fantastic .

Reactions: jcam222
Very cool civil!

LIKE!

The wife and I will be glamping (means full hookups) and fishing at Lake Powell starting next Saturday.

Me for 2 weeks and she will be there until the following Sunday (9 days).
View attachment 408411 View attachment 408412 View attachment 408413

And we do actually eat what we catch - in this case striped bass.

But when I was younger I did catch a lot of carp at a local lake ( wheatie balls with vanilla extract worked great) and left them on the bank for the wildlife as they are a trash fish in my book.

John

Thanks John. I'm a bit jealous, I love striped bass (& Powell)! I have line caught a fair amount out of Powell. Just love the challenge of casting into a boil of them. We used light tackle gear with them so it seemed like a huge fight!

Great Post, Civil !!
Nice looking meal, and Great Pics!
Like.

Bow-fishing brings back memories:
I used to Shoot Suckers in Spring every year. I'd get 20 or 30 about 18" to 20" long, Gut them & save the Roe for Broiling & Frying, and I'd give the bodies & guts to my Grandfather. He'd rototill them into his Vegetable Garden.

At that time I was using a Semi-Recurve 66" "West Bow".

Bear

Thanks Bear! I was thinking you were going to say you used a "Bear" bow. A 45lb Bear recurve was my first bow.

They have a yearly bow fishing tournament in these parts and the spoils go to local farmers for the garden as well.....

Our local reservoir has an abundance of 3-5 lbs catfish. It’s a deep crystal clear rock bottom body of water so the cats taste spectacular. I’ve had more than one guest say they don’t like catfish only to devour a few plates of them!

I would eat them! blackened cat is one of my fav fish to both cook and eat. Its just one of those things when done right they are really good.

We always let them ( catfish ) swim in clean water for a night , then cleaned as you mentioned .
I've never cleaned or cooked carp , but know guys that can cook it up right . It's fantastic .

The water we catch cats in around here is actually pretty clean.

I know lots of people eat carp. They are the most consumed fish on the planet but........I know they also make good compost for the garden so in a way I do eat them....LOL

Thanks John. I'm a bit jealous, I love striped bass (& Powell)! I have line caught a fair amount out of Powell. Just love the challenge of casting into a boil of them. We used light tackle gear with them so it seemed like a huge fight!

Civil,

We found this little lake in 2002 and have been fishing it every year since...initially it was the smallies we were after (75 fish day convinced us we needed to do the 5 hr drive north as often as possible) but we got into a striper boil in warm creek a couple of years later and got hooked (pun intended) on fishing for stripers, especially when boil season came around (at the time 5-7 pounders were the norm). Needless to say we love going up and camping and fishing there. Our best day striper fishing was 147 fish in a day, just me and the wife. In the end we had them so worked up we were catching them on 1/4 ounce jigs with nothing but a bare hook. It was insane, we were laughing so hard we actually hurt. And they were surrounding the boat jumping into the cooler (ok not quite but pretty close).

So I am stoked to go up and spend some quality time with my first mate (wifey) and get in some great smallie (and we use ultra-lite rods an reels for these guys) and striper fishing.

Here is my porterhouse waiting to be cooked on the weber....
IMG_20191014_135143987_MP.jpg

John

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky