Super Bowl menu planning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
OK, any more specific thoughts and recommendations for specific dishes in the applicable genres appreciated. The story:

Going to try to pull off getting together with 3 very close friends (former neighbors a few years back) we’ve postponed twice with this &$#£¥ pandemic since Thanksgiving.
Our tradition I’ve mentioned is we do menu based on the team cities.
If this happens, it will be a long weekend, and I’m thinking of expanding the format, just as the NFL expanded the playoffs.
We will do Friday with the cities losing in the divisional round, Saturday with the losers in the conference round, and Sunday with the Super Bowl cities.

So next weekend we will start establishing the options. Here’s what I have for thoughts. Ranked by seedlings. Not really a dog in the bunch, but sets up for gaining about 20 lb in a month 😁

AFC
KC - Ribs, BBQ, all things beef
Buffalo - Wings, beef on weck
Baltimore - All things crab
Cleveland - Italian? Polish?

NFC
Green Bay - Brats, featuring cheese
New Orleans - Cajun/Creole
Tampa Bay - Cuban, seafood
LA - Mexican, Asian

Cant wait to watch and salivate next weekend

That's a good idea. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of the planning, and everyone gets additional ideas. Looking forward to the additional info upcoming. There's nothing I'd change at this time to your list.

I’ve had Bills’ Season Tickets for 16 years and cook at the tailgate for about 12-20 people every home game. I always theme the food to the team we are playing. So I have a lot of experience with theming food to a city. All of your ideas look pretty spot on!

Here are a few of my thoughts:
Cleveland - definitely do pierogies! If you’re making your own from scratch, try some unique fillings and maybe incorporate some smoked ingredients (meat, cheese, taters, etc...)
GB - Look up Curly’s Beer Cheese Soup (recipe online). It is amazing and they serve it at Lambeau (with popcorn on top!)

Beef on Wick... Had it the first time a few years back, the wife's family is from that area. It's a good choice on any game day I think! Wish I could the bread out here in MN. Also keep in mind, in Wisconsin especially Green Bay, beer IS its own food group.

Beef on Wick... Had it the first time a few years back, the wife's family is from that area. It's a good choice on any game day I think! Wish I could the bread out here in MN. Also keep in mind, in Wisconsin especially Green Bay, beer IS its own food group.
It is weck...in reference to the kimmelweck roll that it is served on. I’ve never found them anywhere outside of Buffalo. But wouldn’t be real hard to add coarse salt and caraway seeds to a good fresh baked roll I guess. But I know where you’re coming from...it’s just not the same as getting it here!

I've tried making it myself and having a local bakery make it for me. Just not the same. Last time out there I brought a few dozen rolls from small local bar in Cohocton, NY. Just amazing.

Reactions: shaneyb72
Here are some foods Cleveland is known for. Definitely gotta have the Polish Boyand pierogies. Brats and Bertmans mustard too. https://photos.clevescene.com/photos-10-iconic-foods-define-cleveland/?slide=1&buffet1-9
Thanks! We love pierogies and golubki/halupki (Stuffed cabbage). When young used to get them most Fridays at a Russian Orthodox Church made by elderly Ukrainian women from old country :emoji_blush:
I’ve had Bills’ Season Tickets for 16 years and cook at the tailgate for about 12-20 people every home game. I always theme the food to the team we are playing. So I have a lot of experience with theming food to a city. All of your ideas look pretty spot on!

Here are a few of my thoughts:
Cleveland - definitely do pierogies! If you’re making your own from scratch, try some unique fillings and maybe incorporate some smoked ingredients (meat, cheese, taters, etc...)
GB - Look up Curly’s Beer Cheese Soup (recipe online). It is amazing and they serve it at Lambeau (with popcorn on top!)
Good idea on playing with fillings, plenty of options combining various cities. Found Curly online on several sites. I‘ll try original first, but may play with this, thicken and flavor a bit differently to make a pretzel dip.
It is weck...in reference to the kimmelweck roll that it is served on. I’ve never found them anywhere outside of Buffalo. But wouldn’t be real hard to add coarse salt and caraway seeds to a good fresh baked roll I guess. But I know where you’re coming from...it’s just not the same as getting it here!
We’re from Finger Lakes area, and I had projects in Buffalo area, so was crushed when moved south and it was nowhere to be found. Thrilled when a new bakery opened and they were from Buffalo! But went out of business a few years later :emoji_disappointed:
I've tried making it myself and having a local bakery make it for me. Just not the same. Last time out there I brought a few dozen rolls from small local bar in Cohocton, NY. Just amazing.
I did make a passable version a couple weeks ago ... painted the top of brioche rolls with a cornstarch solution, sprinkle with caraway seeds and kosher salt, bake until dried. When you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with. :emoji_blush:

After playing highschool football and summertime double days in 100+ degree days. I lost my taste in football. I just can't see waisting my time watching a bunch of over paid illiterate thugs. Im more than down for a party with good food though. Bring your hot girlfriend over for us old guys to oogle over. I'll bring the pizza dough and all the fixings.

Thanks.
Dan:emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: TNJAKE
Ok, the participants set and the menu WAS firming up ... but a cervical procedure was pushed back to Friday afternoon on super bowl weekend, so party plans scrubbed :emoji_disappointed:
Probably not up to much on game day, so shifting to things I can make ahead for just the two of us, maybe daughter and SIL for a bit.

For KC thinking burnt ends will reheat pretty well, not so sure about ribs. Maybe a chucky in the SV and can just open and do BBQ pulled beef sliders.
Tampa tougher, most seafood doesn’t reheat well, nor keep for several days in fridge. Probably will make shrimp burgers and freeze uncooked, then pop in air fryer.

Oh well, the beer and margaritas will be just as good as planned. :emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky