• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Summer Sausage Food Safety Question

ebbtide3673

Joined Aug 28, 2020
Hello! I'm fairly new to sausage making and making a 25# batch of Venison Summer Sausage. While making,
  1. I mixed the spices in cure into 1/2 the batch, then loaded into the stuffer, stuffed in casings and returned to fridge
  2. I then took the 2nd half of the batch of the fridge to repeat the same process, however, I didn't clean the stuffer or mixing bowl between batches. (The stuffer still had a small amount of meat left over so I figured I'd use that in the next casing)
  3. In all, I estimate the mixing and stuffing took roughly an hour to complete.
As a newbie, now that I'm finished and the casings are resting in the fridge, I'm starting to worry that maybe I should have stopped and cleaned the mixing bowl and stuffer between batches.

Should I be concerned about bacteria or something else gnarly being wrong or should everything turn out ok?

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
You are fine as these are a cooked sausage. The Salt and Cure #1 gave protection. Your working in half batches is commendable. Keeping the meat cold is still important, even with Cure. Additionally, according to USDA Safety Rules, they let Chicken stay out at Room Temp for 2 hours! You worked up 25 pounds of sausage in about 1 hour. You are good to go and KUDOS for being Safety Minded...JJ

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
As a newbie, now that I'm finished and the casings are resting in the fridge, I'm starting to worry
That's normal , and how you keep from making someone sick . The worry goes away in time .
You got the answer you needed , but I'll just suggest you check the temp of your fridge . I have a dedicated fridge for curing and sausage making . I have a therm in there for reference , but check it now and again with a remote therm . I keep mine at 36 degrees .
Enjoy .

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Yep, these guys got ya covered... but no pics, didn't happen! We like pics lol

Ryan

ebbtide3673

Joined Aug 28, 2020
You are fine as these are a cooked sausage. The Salt and Cure #1 gave protection. Your working in half batches is commendable. Keeping the meat cold is still important, even with Cure. Additionally, according to USDA Safety Rules, they let Chicken stay out at Room Temp for 2 hours! You worked up 25 pounds of sausage in about 1 hour. You are good to go and KUDOS for being Safety Minded...JJ
Awesome! Thank you!

ebbtide3673

Joined Aug 28, 2020
That's normal , and how you keep from making someone sick . The worry goes away in time .
You got the answer you needed , but I'll just suggest you check the temp of your fridge . I have a dedicated fridge for curing and sausage making . I have a therm in there for reference , but check it now and again with a remote therm . I keep mine at 36 degrees .
Enjoy .
Ha! That's exactly what I did with the Fridge as well. Bluetooth thermometer maintained at 36. (Though mine also doubles as a beer fridge!)

ebbtide3673

Joined Aug 28, 2020
Looking good! Nice little smoke house ya have

Ryan
Thanks! Built it from rough cut cedar straight off the mill, ceramic tile sits on the bottom and leans against the sides to protect, and use two 20 amp heat elements connected to a thermostat/2-20 amp current driven switches(turned on and off by thermostat) to regulate the temp.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Yeah . Awesome set up . Mine started as a beer fridge .
Then I joined here .

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.