Suggestions on wood to use for Prime Rib . . .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papoose

Original poster
May 22, 2011
Ran a search and didn't find what I was looking for.  I'm gonna attempt to do a prime rib tomorrow for the first time and I need suggestions on what flavours of wood to use.  I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that folks like to use pecan and cherry.  Well, that's all well and good but the winter-time selections around these parts are pretty slim.  There is a remote possibility that I might be able to find cherry but I've never even seen pecan for sale around here.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I like the taste of either oak or red oak on beef.  If you can find that it is a pretty sure bet that you will have some awesome flavor from it.

Just my .02 cents

Sounds like anything you can get will have to do...Oak gives a Dad's backyard BBQ taste...Apple and/or Cherry is mild and tasty on beef...Hickory is good on anything IMO...I like the Bite of Mesquite on Beef but the Mrs. despises it , so I never get to use it...JJ

I use local wood for smoking.

Mainly pecan...some oak on occaision.

Most of the time I cant tell whats been used for smoking.

Don't sweat the small stuff..get some local wood and have fun.

Craig

Well I am a Pecan on beef kinda guy.  Beef is hardy so it calls for a more hardy wood traditionally like Hickory, Pecan, oak.  Mesquite, ect.  I have used apple a lighter wood on beef and felt it was fine so do not let your heart be troubled by the choice.  Lighter wood selection just smoke unfoiled longer it would seem. 

icon_cool.gif

I use chips most of the time so I like the fruit woods like apple, cherry, or even orange is all good.

I use black walnut a lot because I got a bunch of it.  I think it is a lot like oak but a bit more mellow.    I only let prime rib stay in the smoke for an hour or so

then I foil..   It gets a bit strong for us if I let it be ''naked'' the whole time.   I make gunstocks on a duplicator so I got a bunch of 'mistakes' to take care of.

No chemicals yet so burn for heat or cook wid it..   Of course I LOVE apple..

Hemi..
76.gif

I am a hickory go to guy but last time I did prime rib I tried the Jack Daniels whiskey barrel chips, it knocked that prime rib out of the park!

Prime Rib in itself is pretty overpowering, i would take it with any of the woods mentioned above. My personal fav though is cherry...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky