Successful 1st pork butt...but definitely room for improvement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skeeter013

Original poster
Aug 26, 2017
Last week I received my first smoker, an MES40. After doing the initial burn-in I decided my first smoke would be a pork butt. I was very impressed with the MES during the smoke. In the end, the pulled pork was very good but I definitely have room for improvement. I smoked an 8lb pork shoulder and it took around 14 hours. I thought this was a little on the long side. However, it was a very cold day with temperatures in the single digits when I was smoking. I had my MES set at 225F and it was definitely dipping to lower temperatures during the smoke due to the outside temp. I'm glad I read about the "plateau" on the forum because I probably would have thought the smoker was broken during this phase. Since it was taking longer than expected, I decided to crank up the temperature to 275F during the end of the smoke. I also didn't let the butt rest long enough after it was done cooking. I only let it rest for 30 minutes because it was late and I had a bunch of hungry kids. Overall, it was a fun first cook and everyone enjoyed the pulled pork. Here are a few pictures:

8lb pork butt going on the smoker at 5:45AM
PB_rubbed.jpg

MES smoking away with Apple wood chips in the snow
MES40.jpg

Finally done at 8:00PM (200F IT)
PB_cooked.jpg

Final product. Very tasty but I didn't get the nice pink smoke ring.
PB_pulled.jpg

Attachments

• PB_cooked.jpg
    PB_cooked.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 14
Last week I received my first smoker, an MES40. After doing the initial burn-in I decided my first smoke would be a pork butt. I was very impressed with the MES during the smoke. In the end, the pulled pork was very good but I definitely have room for improvement. I smoked an 8lb pork shoulder and it took around 14 hours. I thought this was a little on the long side. However, it was a very cold day with temperatures in the single digits when I was smoking. I had my MES set at 225F and it was definitely dipping to lower temperatures during the smoke due to the outside temp. I'm glad I read about the "plateau" on the forum because I probably would have thought the smoker was broken during this phase. Since it was taking longer than expected, I decided to crank up the temperature to 275F during the end of the smoke. I also didn't let the butt rest long enough after it was done cooking. I only let it rest for 30 minutes because it was late and I had a bunch of hungry kids. Overall, it was a fun first cook and everyone enjoyed the pulled pork. Here are a few pictures:

8lb pork butt going on the smoker at 5:45AM
View attachment 352549

MES smoking away with Apple wood chips in the snow
View attachment 352552
Sweet RIG!!
Finally done at 8:00PM (200F IT)
View attachment 352554

Final product. Very tasty but I didn't get the nice pink smoke ring.
View attachment 352556

Skeeter, nice looking pulled pork you got there. Don't be afraid to crank that MES up to 250 - 260. The shoulder can easily handle it and you'll knock off a few hours of cooking time. The smoke-ring is a just a novelty. It doesn't add any flavor, and I'm pretty sure you won't get one with an electric smoker.

Point for sure.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky