Suburban Scott

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

suburbanscott

Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I'm a hunter, homemaker, sausage-maker in rural Alberta near the Montana border. I've been smoking my own meat for 30 years with varying rates of success, as in truly awesome to the dog doesn't like it. I've done so much 'by the seat of my pants' that I thought that it was time to get some education and understand some of the science and reasons for different cures. 

This forum seems to cover a lot of that simply by me reading and not saying a word. Thank you.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Hello Scott , Welcome to the group. This is a great place to learn the art of smoking just about any food you care to mention. Lots of nice , helpful folks on this forum. You will enjoy the time you spend here.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. 

Due  to some reading here, I believe that I pegged down why my salami has been so hit and miss. It looks to me that keeping My cooking temp closer to about 150F rather than 200F is likely the turning point. I have never quite copied my earlier successes [due to poor record keeping at first]. I use 2 pans of apple and 2 pans of hickory over about 12 hours but although the taste is terrific, I haven't been  getting that firm dry texture that we like.

Next week, my boys are out of school for a week and we intend to do up 40# of salami and 60# of garlic sausage and smokies. If the forecast is right, the temperature in one of my unheated out buildings should be perfect refrigerator temp. for hanging. Finding the right space for finishing meat can be challenging.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky