Sub Sandwiches???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just love sub style sandwiches, but I’ve only had a few franchise sandwiches that I like, Subway not being one of them. Jimmy John’s isn’t bad but over all kind of bland and the bread is to chewy. Jersey Mike is ok but kinda low on flavor and not a fan of the bread, though it’s not a deal breaker.

Here is what I like in a sub style sandwich.

1) Bread more like a French style, light outer crust, light over all and soft on the inside, and not to thick.

2) Real mayo on that bread and don’t be to stingy.

3) Quality thinly slices meats, and a nice portion.

4) Cheese, Provolone is at the top, but Munster is good too.

5) Thin sliced onion, iceburg lettuce and tomato. These must be thin and freshly sliced. Pilled good but not too high.

6) Salt and pepper over that.

7) A good dose of quality wine vinegar with oil.

I like mustard and pickles too, but for a rank and file sandwich those items vary to much for my liking. In the perfect sandwich they are key but must be what you like.

We have a local shop that makes really good subs along these lines. They are exceptional, but also pretty expensive.

I’ve made some lunch meats, want to make more variety of them also. Homemade is so much better or can be.

My struggle is with bread. I think I want more of a New Orleans style Po-Boy roll but thin. Then I could make my perfect sub sandwich at home.

Whats you guys preferred sub style sandwich? Just curious.

Thanks for any replies.

Eric.
Jerseys hands down for me

I've always thought about getting bread at one shop, meats at another, and putting together my own sammich. Kinda like others....some shops just do certain things better than others.
And yep...bread is the key to a good sub.

Jim

We are getting a new place in the next town over called Penn station. Anyone have an opinion on them? I've never even heard of it
Funny you mention that was gonna ask myself. Have not gone there but hearing rave reviews. Kid you not I tried to get the office to try it today but was outvoted.

Reactions: JLeonard
Jerseys hands down for me
I'm another Jersey Mike's fan but, at the cost, I've been making my own.

One tip I picked up off of a YouTube video is to wrap your sub tightly after making it. I wrap it tightly in parchment paper and then wrap that in foil and stick it in the refrigerator. In fact, I just finished making one for lunch - ham*, salami, pepperoni, provolone, mayonnaise, hand shredded lettuce, and thinly sliced tomatoes. It's 10:30 Am, here and it will sit in the fridge until about 1:30. I don't add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Italian Seasonings until just before I eat it, so that stuff doesn't do bad things to the lettuce while it is sitting.

* I use Krakus Polish ham. It is available at the deli counter at my local Safeway (Albertson/Ralph's family). I'm of Polish heritage and it's taste brings back memories of my Mom buying a 5 pounder of Krakus in a not quite oval shaped metal can that came with a metal key for opening it - which I can't find anywhere. The deli counter slices it very thin for me and at $8.99/lb. it is cheaper and, to me, more delicious than any Boarshead ham.

We have Primo’s around here, They’re based out of Philly/NJ area but I’m not sure how widely available they are.

Their Italian subs are awesome but they’re super expensive. I usually stick with an Italian hoagie consisting of capicola, prosciutto, sharp provolone and pepper shooters. If I’m in the mood for something different I get they’re roast pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Amoroso roll is a must for a hoagie.

Cheeseburger, cheesesteak, chopped cheese, Italian, you name it. Love them all.

If eating at Jimmy John’s, I’m going with the Guargantuan. That thing is easily one of the best chain hoagies out there.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
I generally like Subway, but their prices have almost doubled here over the past couple years, and none of the franchises will take their coupons, which ticks me off as well.
Jersey Mike's here, the bread is not fresh, and the meat portions are pretty skimpy.
Firehouse. Without a doubt, the worst sandwich I have ever tried in my life. I've had gas station sandwiches that were better. I ordered a Ruben sub. It came with a couple tiny pieces of pastrami, and a barely a dollop of Thousand Island. No cheese. No coleslaw. It only has 4 ingredients, 2 of which they forgot. It was barely warm, and simultaneously stale and soggy. Never again.
Jimmy John's I generally like, but wish they were bigger.
There is a small chain here called Port of Subs, which is pretty good, but also pricey.

Last edited:
Subway was fine when you could get the $5 foot long, Jersey Mikes is good but seems their portions of meat got smaller and it cost $17 for the big cheese steak. Thankfully I almost never eat lunch out of the house anymore.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Only commercial hoagie is WAWA when I'm running around and hangry. On the road when I was in construction it was small family deli's all over Phila and suburbs. Had family in Pittsburgh and had Primanti Bros regularly (not really a sub, more of a local reconstruction). But am lucky to have some best of's local to me and around where I'm employed now. What's even better is a Grinder Sub which is more a local thing, Sub toasted in pizza oven or salamander.
Some of my regulars,
Hoagie Express
Little Hut
Family Style
Delassndros
Jeromes

Last edited:
I just love sub style sandwiches, but I’ve only had a few franchise sandwiches that I like, Subway not being one of them. Jimmy John’s isn’t bad but over all kind of bland and the bread is to chewy. Jersey Mike is ok but kinda low on flavor and not a fan of the bread, though it’s not a deal breaker.

Here is what I like in a sub style sandwich.

1) Bread more like a French style, light outer crust, light over all and soft on the inside, and not to thick.

2) Real mayo on that bread and don’t be to stingy.

3) Quality thinly slices meats, and a nice portion.

4) Cheese, Provolone is at the top, but Munster is good too.

5) Thin sliced onion, iceburg lettuce and tomato. These must be thin and freshly sliced. Pilled good but not too high.

6) Salt and pepper over that.

7) A good dose of quality wine vinegar with oil.

I like mustard and pickles too, but for a rank and file sandwich those items vary to much for my liking. In the perfect sandwich they are key but must be what you like.

We have a local shop that makes really good subs along these lines. They are exceptional, but also pretty expensive.

I’ve made some lunch meats, want to make more variety of them also. Homemade is so much better or can be.

My struggle is with bread. I think I want more of a New Orleans style Po-Boy roll but thin. Then I could make my perfect sub sandwich at home.

Whats you guys preferred sub style sandwich? Just curious.

Thanks for any replies.

Eric.
I'm not too big on French bread sandwiches because its always too much bread though I think french bread is good for things, its just too much.

We have "Potbelly's Sandwich Works" around my area and they hands down make the best sandwiches. The one called "The Wreck" is freakin amazing. The key is good bread, exceptional meat, cheese, and ingredients. Their "hot" pepper blend/mix is great on sandwiches.

Also they have the best cookie I've ever eaten. Their oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. A little crispy on the outside and gets tender and soft as you get closer to the center but no part of it is dry. Outstanding!

So in all I like a sandwich with great bread and ingredients and not where the bread is more than 50% of the sandwich :)

I'm not too big on French bread sandwiches because its always too much bread though I think french bread is good for things, its just too much.

We have "Potbelly's Sandwich Works" around my area and they hands down make the best sandwiches. The one called "The Wreck" is freakin amazing. The key is good bread, exceptional meat, cheese, and ingredients. Their "hot" pepper blend/mix is great on sandwiches.

Also they have the best cookie I've ever eaten. Their oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. A little crispy on the outside and gets tender and soft as you get closer to the center but no part of it is dry. Outstanding!

So in all I like a sandwich with great bread and ingredients and not where the bread is more than 50% of the sandwich :)
Agree, and like the sound of that cookie for sure.

The bread I like is French style light crust on the outside, just enough to hold the thing together. The thickness of the bread should be thin, and the inside soft but not to dense. The star of the sandwich show is whats inside. I’m there to eat the meat and toppings, the bread only needs to hold it all together, that’s it.

I'm another Jersey Mike's fan but, at the cost, I've been making my own.

One tip I picked up off of a YouTube video is to wrap your sub tightly after making it. I wrap it tightly in parchment paper and then wrap that in foil and stick it in the refrigerator. In fact, I just finished making one for lunch - ham*, salami, pepperoni, provolone, mayonnaise, hand shredded lettuce, and thinly sliced tomatoes. It's 10:30 Am, here and it will sit in the fridge until about 1:30. I don't add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Italian Seasonings until just before I eat it, so that stuff doesn't do bad things to the lettuce while it is sitting.

* I use Krakus Polish ham. It is available at the deli counter at my local Safeway (Albertson/Ralph's family). I'm of Polish heritage and it's taste brings back memories of my Mom buying a 5 pounder of Krakus in a not quite oval shaped metal can that came with a metal key for opening it - which I can't find anywhere. The deli counter slices it very thin for me and at $8.99/lb. it is cheaper and, to me, more delicious than any Boarshead ham.
Is the Krakus Polish ham along the lines of Krakowska? I make the Krakowska style deli meat, very delicious.

Agree, and like the sound of that cookie for sure.

The bread I like is French style light crust on the outside, just enough to hold the thing together. The thickness of the bread should be thin, and the inside soft but not to dense. The star of the sandwich show is whats inside. I’m there to eat the meat and toppings, the bread only needs to hold it all together, that’s it.
Exactly, im the same way!

The closest to an exception for me is a Muffaletta sandwich or a Focaccia bread sandwich but even then I don't want too much bread. It's just those breads are freakin moist and phenomenal. Can pick pieces and eat em alone.

So how many of you make your own deli meats? And do you prefer those over the Boars Head type meats? I make some sandwich meats and love them but some are a challenge like Italian roast beef.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky