Stuffed Pork Loin with Raspberry Chipotle Glaze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

troutman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Houston, Texas
We did a large prime rib feast on Christmas day, but also had a small gathering for Christmas Eve. Decided to do pork as the entree for that event.

As you all know pork loin is super tender and can be juicy but lacks a lot of flavor due to its being so lean. As such I'm always looking for a way to punch up the flavor of my pork loins. I ran across a Harry Soo recipe a while back and decided to take it out and modify it to my liking. It takes advantage of a fruit filled stuffing and a sweet glazed covering. I love the way sweetness works with pork.

For the stuffing;
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • ½ pound fresh Italian sausage
  • 1 Granny Smith apple; peeled, cored, and diced
  • ¼ cup raisins
  • ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • ¾ cup cubed bread for stuffing (I used store bought)
  • ¼ cup apple juice
  • Spicing to taste
Browned off the sausage in a little oil and removed from the pan. Added the fruit and nuts to the oil and grease and cooked for a few minutes to soften. I then added the butter and continued the softening. With all the flavors melded and the sugars beginning to caramelize, I added back the sausage and the bread stuffing cubes along with the apple juice. I kept adding a bit more apple juice until I got a stiff but soft consistency to the stuffing.

xeve stuffing.jpg

.... I placed the stuffing in a container and let cool in the frig while I splayed out my loin. I pounded out the thicker areas to get a consistent thickness of about 3/8" and gave the inside a generous seasoning with my pork rub (had also salt brined overnight) ......

xeve splayed.jpg

.....after cooling, I applied the stuffing as you would with a fatty, rolled, trussed and seasoned the outside .........

xeve apply stuff.jpg

xeve trussed.jpg

.....smoked at 325* until I achieved an IT of about 150* (we prefer pork a bit on the rare side) with a carryover carving temp of about 155*. Also made some baked beans as one of the sides .......

xeve roasting.jpg

... as the roast approached the century mark, I gave it a good glazing or some Cookwell & Co. raspberry chipole sauce for a sweet and spicy finish ......

Roast came out fantastic. The sweet and savory note from both the stuffing and the glaze complemented the pork perfectly. This one is a keeper in my book ...... Troutman out !!!!

xeve sruffed section.jpg

Thanks man, I thought this post got lost in the holiday shuffle. As I said it’s a borrowed recipe that I think turned out excellently.

Looks Great TM. Very similar to one we did in the past, The family is a big fan of stuffed and smoked pork loin. Point...

Fantastic looking loin!
Great job on the stuffing!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Last edited:
Thanks forkin. Not only good looking presentation wise, but wait until you taste it. I love Harry Soo recipe's, man's a genius.

Nice, troutman! Pork Loin roll ups are the new fattie, what with loin being on sale almost constantly. The sky’s the limit on stuffings. I’m going to have to try bread cubes on my next one! Like!

Dan

Looks Great, Troutman!!
Sorry I'm late---You posted this at a bad time for me.

145° to 150° is just right. :)
Like,

Bear

So I may have messed this one up. Followed the recipe exactly except I read 225 instead of 325 on my mes 40. Saw the error of my ways about 2.75 hours into it when the probe read about 95. Cranked it up to 275 but after 4.5 hours it just made it to 135. Has it been in the danger zone too long for filleted and stuffed pork to be safe?

I wouldn't worry too much about the low and slow versus the higher heat I cooked mine at. As long as you eventually got to about the 150* mark you should be alright. The stuffing was pre-cooked so that's not in any danger.

We did a large prime rib feast on Christmas day, but also had a small gathering for Christmas Eve. Decided to do pork as the entree for that event.

As you all know pork loin is super tender and can be juicy but lacks a lot of flavor due to its being so lean. As such I'm always looking for a way to punch up the flavor of my pork loins. I ran across a Harry Soo recipe a while back and decided to take it out and modify it to my liking. It takes advantage of a fruit filled stuffing and a sweet glazed covering. I love the way sweetness works with pork.

For the stuffing;
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • ½ pound fresh Italian sausage
  • 1 Granny Smith apple; peeled, cored, and diced
  • ¼ cup raisins
  • ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • ¾ cup cubed bread for stuffing (I used store bought)
  • ¼ cup apple juice
  • Spicing to taste
Browned off the sausage in a little oil and removed from the pan. Added the fruit and nuts to the oil and grease and cooked for a few minutes to soften. I then added the butter and continued the softening. With all the flavors melded and the sugars beginning to caramelize, I added back the sausage and the bread stuffing cubes along with the apple juice. I kept adding a bit more apple juice until I got a stiff but soft consistency to the stuffing.

View attachment 348690

.... I placed the stuffing in a container and let cool in the frig while I splayed out my loin. I pounded out the thicker areas to get a consistent thickness of about 3/8" and gave the inside a generous seasoning with my pork rub (had also salt brined overnight) ......

View attachment 348691

.....after cooling, I applied the stuffing as you would with a fatty, rolled, trussed and seasoned the outside .........

View attachment 348693

View attachment 348692

.....smoked at 325* until I achieved an IT of about 150* (we prefer pork a bit on the rare side) with a carryover carving temp of about 155*. Also made some baked beans as one of the sides .......

View attachment 348694

... as the roast approached the century mark, I gave it a good glazing or some Cookwell & Co. raspberry chipole sauce for a sweet and spicy finish ......

Roast came out fantastic. The sweet and savory note from both the stuffing and the glaze complemented the pork perfectly. This one is a keeper in my book ...... Troutman out !!!!

View attachment 348695

wow does that ever look good damn . i have a done a few pork tenderloins now, however i do mine different ( i dont cut down as much and then tie up with the string . i really like that and the way you showed it too. i do think that from now on ill be doing that .
- what would you think also about wrapping in bacon / just curious , and thanks again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky