Stuffed Onions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oddegan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Fremont Michigan
I was getting things out of the freezer to thaw for the big BBQ this weekend and I kept chasing a pack of chorizo around. Inspiration struck. Stuffed Onions!

I cut the top and bottom off of a couple Vidalias and cut partway into them to separate layers off. I used a smaller piece to make a plug.
IMG_20180717_163526807.jpg

Then I layered in some homemade Mexican chorizo, some homemade cheddar jalapeno cream cheese, and then more chorizo.
IMG_20180717_163943671.jpg
IMG_20180717_164413723.jpg
IMG_20180717_164742019.jpg

Wrapped them in bacon and threw them on the gasser for a half hour or so. Took them off the pan to finish the bacon and melt some cheese.

IMG_20180717_165324000.jpg

IMG_20180717_191041594.jpg

Served them up with a little zucchini. Definitely making these again!

IMG_20180717_202506747.jpg

IMG_20180717_202552300.jpg

My my what a great idea!!!! Like that for sure.... And Chile throwing that in a burrito....mmmmmmmmmmm​

Holy cow those look good!
What a great idea!
I have to try that!
Those are definitely carousel material!
Congrats on a really good looking meal!!
Al

Those are looking very good I can just imagine what they would be like on a soft shelled taco and it would be wonderful

The leftover ones will be going on tortillas tonight!
Holy cow those look awesome, what a great idea.
I think I'd chop up the leftovers and stuff them into a poblano pepper and throw them back on the coals until hot. Then I would char up a large flour tortilla add some crema fresca casera, cotija cheese and some Tapatio salsa picante hot sauce and twist up a big'ol burrito/belly bomba.
Heck, I bet you could stuff an old tennis shoe with those things and they would still be awesome.

P.S. your Zucc's grow in funny shapes out there in Mich.:rolleyes::D

The Cheddar, jalapeno cream cheese inspired a like. Your onion balls deserve two likes, but I don't think the site will let me do that. The Zucchini looks good too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky