Stuffed Onions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oddegan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Fremont Michigan
I was getting things out of the freezer to thaw for the big BBQ this weekend and I kept chasing a pack of chorizo around. Inspiration struck. Stuffed Onions!

I cut the top and bottom off of a couple Vidalias and cut partway into them to separate layers off. I used a smaller piece to make a plug.
IMG_20180717_163526807.jpg

Then I layered in some homemade Mexican chorizo, some homemade cheddar jalapeno cream cheese, and then more chorizo.
IMG_20180717_163943671.jpg
IMG_20180717_164413723.jpg
IMG_20180717_164742019.jpg

Wrapped them in bacon and threw them on the gasser for a half hour or so. Took them off the pan to finish the bacon and melt some cheese.

IMG_20180717_165324000.jpg

IMG_20180717_191041594.jpg

Served them up with a little zucchini. Definitely making these again!

IMG_20180717_202506747.jpg

IMG_20180717_202552300.jpg

My my what a great idea!!!! Like that for sure.... And Chile throwing that in a burrito....mmmmmmmmmmm​

Holy cow those look good!
What a great idea!
I have to try that!
Those are definitely carousel material!
Congrats on a really good looking meal!!
Al

Those are looking very good I can just imagine what they would be like on a soft shelled taco and it would be wonderful

The leftover ones will be going on tortillas tonight!
Holy cow those look awesome, what a great idea.
I think I'd chop up the leftovers and stuff them into a poblano pepper and throw them back on the coals until hot. Then I would char up a large flour tortilla add some crema fresca casera, cotija cheese and some Tapatio salsa picante hot sauce and twist up a big'ol burrito/belly bomba.
Heck, I bet you could stuff an old tennis shoe with those things and they would still be awesome.

P.S. your Zucc's grow in funny shapes out there in Mich.:rolleyes::D

The Cheddar, jalapeno cream cheese inspired a like. Your onion balls deserve two likes, but I don't think the site will let me do that. The Zucchini looks good too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky