Strip steaks . Cast iron / oven finish .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Cooked up some of the steaks from this thread ,

Wanted to go on the kettle over mesquite coals , but was way to windy . So My next favorite way is in a cast iron skillet , then finished in the oven .
Seasoned up with Canadian Steak seasoning , then held under vacuum over night . 20220329_161325.jpg
20220330_153742.jpg
Next day I let them warm up on the counter for an hour or so .
20220330_163225.jpg
Heat up the cast iron . 1950's Wagner . Ate a lot of meals from that when I was a kid .
20220330_172741.jpg
Steaks go in . I put just a bit of oil in the bottom because they were wet
from the seasoning . If they were dried off , I would go in the pan without oil .
20220330_180213.jpg
Didn't get the pan as hot as I wanted at the edges , and the pan is a bit crowded .
When they release I flip .
Add butter , garlic and Thyme from the Aero garden .
Then into a 350 degree oven .

20220330_180751.jpg
Coming out of the oven . Smells fantastic .
20220330_181608.jpg
Not the best color on one on the left , but it was like butter .
20220330_181613.jpg

Rested and sliced . Great flavor on these , and completely tender .
I usually add Rosemary to the pan too , but I was out .

20220330_182054.jpg

That looks delicious Rich! I bet it smelled wonderful coming out of the oven. Nice looking pan as well!

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
Muy Excellente Chop!
That steak looks sooo tender & juicy!!
Thanks Al . It's really is a great method for steaks .
That looks delicious Rich! I bet it smelled wonderful coming out of the oven
Thanks Ryan . Yup before and after . The smell really sets it up .
The fresh herbs at arms reach are so handy .
Welcome to the jungle .
1649769609036.jpeg

Now I know what I’ll be making for dinner tonight
Lol . This place has that effect on ya . Thanks for lookin .

Reactions: Timber II
Awesome!!
Now you got me wanting steak!!
I was thinking of making one, but rumor has it that we're having Prime Rib delivered to us on Easter Sunday, from the other end of the Driveway!
Nice Job, Rich!
Like.

Bear

Man those look great!
Thanks John . Appreciate that .
always end up smoking the house out lol.
Lol . Yup . That's why It wasn't as hot as it should have been .
Smoke alarm on a 14 ' vault is a bitch to silence .
Impressive! You got some of that special green stuff growing in there to make brownies with?
Lol . Gave that up long ago , but you sure could . Been picking cherry tomatoes and jalapeno's for a couple weeks .
Using the basil , dill , thyme and parsley pretty regular or it gets dried .

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Looks great Rich! I'll be trying this next week. That CI pan you have there looks in great shape for being from the 50's. I can almost smell it from here. Great work.

Nice piece of work there Rich, steaks look perfect! Steaks in the CI skillet have become a real go-to here in the desert, do them out on the patio all year long. RAY

Very nice job Rich. The steaks look beautiful. I don't think I've done any in a CI skillet but that looks like a great fall-back if we get weather that forbids outdoor cooking.

Robert

Man , that looks good, Rich!!
We've never been fans of strip steaks but I've never gotten a whole loin and cut it up myself.
I'll check GFS when I'm out tomorrow...
I have to be careful searing in the C.I. because of the smoke alarm as well LOL!
What's with the vacuum treatment?

Looks great Rich! I'll be trying this next week.
Mike , it's a great way to do a steak . I don't get the pan so hot it smokes us out . Grab some fresh herbs and garlic cloves . Stick of unsalted butter .
Thanks for the comments .
Nicely done for sure! Great work. makin me hungry!
Thanks Sandy !
I missed this one, great work on those. That's steak perfection!
Ringer , thank you sir .

Reactions: Ringer
Nice piece of work there Rich, steaks look perfect!
Thanks Ray . Great way to do steaks .
Very nice job Rich. The steaks look beautiful. I don't think I've done any in a CI skillet but that looks like a great fall-back if we get weather that forbids outdoor cooking.
Thanks Robert . It's a great method . Even if the weathers nice .

That some beautiful steaks! Love the shine on that skillet!
Thank you Jim . I have a thread I need to post for guys that like cast iron . I found 2 in my Mom's garage that I got all cleaned up . One is a 1940's lodge no. 8 . That one came from my Grandma .

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky