• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured Streak O' Lean ~aka~ Side Meat ~aka~ Salt Pork

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
It goes by several names, and if you come from the South you may have had it (if you're old enough).... or if your kinfolk still cook with the old ways. With me it's definitely a Grandpa thing. Streak O' Lean is cured but un-smoked pork belly, in other words, think fresh side pork that has been cured. You still have it with breakfast and can use it in a pot of greens or beans. It's sliced a little thicker than standard bacon so that the fat can be fried to the perfect texture. The flavor is hard to explain, you taste pork, and the 'cured' flavor, plus a light salty and pepper flavor. Traditionally and before refrigeration 'salt pork' was used as a military ration for a couple of hundred years as well as a household staple, and that version was plenty salty, in fact it was usually soaked in water much like you do to a country ham before cooking. I make it with my typical bacon ratio of 1.75% salt and 1% sugar, and 0.25% Cure # 1. I recently made a 4# batch along with 12# of bacon, so I used black pepper, garlic and crushed bay leaf for my aromatics. If you like fresh side pork.... give this a try.

It looks like standard bacon in the skillet, minus the smoky scent.
OjsBxfD.jpg
E1JxePj.jpg
62gRsjM.jpg
And here is a breakfast feast complete with a side of some Coppa roast ham injection cured with the daveomak method and of course some farm eggs.
x4EZjUR.jpg
For packaging, I sliced it and pre-froze before vacuum sealing. Toward the end of the belly section one vein of fat got larger, so I'll use those slices for cooking in things, and the last 3" I just cut into cubes.
rUKQ4or.jpg
01G5EaT.jpg

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Great lookin meat. I will be curing some hams and bacons tomorrow.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Im really familiar with that product. We ate quite a bit of Salt Pork and Salted
Back Fat in assorted Polish dishes growing up. I can't find any here, so I sub in Bacon. Ill have to try making some. Coppa cured and smoked, was sold as Pork Goodie. Friedrich Brand was the best. Simmered with Cabbage and veg, like Corned Beef and Cabbage , is a favorite...JJ

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Hmm
Is this similar to cheap store "bacon" ? That crap has fake smoke added that goes away on a quick soak before cooking.

A couple years ago, I made an authentic salt pork belly for a Boy Scout Camporee that was a US Civil War re-enactment.
I wasn't able to attend due to my farming job. None of the other leaders dared to use it. Pissed me off they tossed a $20 pork belly.

1MoreFord

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 4, 2020
For those of you who don't cure meats, Hormel still makes it and Kroger sells it near me. Smithfield does too and WalMart sells it.

Last edited:

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Mom used to use salt pork in green beans, collards, and a couple other things. My memories of what she used looked to be pretty much all fat and no meat. I do like what you've done here and may well toss a batch together. I can think of a ton of things to use it in. thanks for sharing!!

Robert

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Hmm
Is this similar to cheap store "bacon" ? That crap has fake smoke added that goes away on a quick soak before cooking.

A couple years ago, I made an authentic salt pork belly for a Boy Scout Camporee that was a US Civil War re-enactment.
I wasn't able to attend due to my farming job. None of the other leaders dared to use it. Pissed me off they tossed a $20 pork belly.
No not at all. I had two full bellies (9#) each and cut each in half for curing for bacon. I simply did not smoke this one.
Mom used to use salt pork in green beans, collards, and a couple other things. My memories of what she used looked to be pretty much all fat and no meat. I do like what you've done here and may well toss a batch together. I can think of a ton of things to use it in. thanks for sharing!!

Robert
Some of the salt pork is made from the lower strip of the belly, and its very fatty. I've seen some in the stores that could have passed for fat back😆

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
All looks Great, Thirdeye!!!
Like.
When I was in High School, my best Buddy's Hunky Dad made me some "Salted Fatback" for a Sammy.
He made little slits all around a block of Fat, and stuck slivers of Garlic all around it.
Then he boiled it for awhile, left it cool, then sliced it thin. I put some in between a couple of slices of toast, and Loved it !!
I could eat a lot of stuff like that, when I was 16 years old!! LOL

Bear

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Never had it, but it sure looks good!
Al

Brian Trommater

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
That sounds interesting. Will have to try that. Plate and bacon looks really good!

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 14, 2016
Its been a while since I had it but you described it perfectly. Like!

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Sorry late on this. But for sure a great looking plate. Fat back salt pork or bacon what ever you want to call it was all good. It was all used in many ways as you said.

Warren

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.