Storing meat after smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrisebo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Dayton ohio
So I used to just cut meat up, and put in a foil tray, or wrap in foil. I noticed it would dry out, so then I started using zip lock bags. (I would pull pork, and store, squeezing air out). For brisket though, I was going to use cling film.

What do you folks use? I also see BBQ restraunts store meats in cling film, and even keep in a hot box. Is that safe?

Was going to get 24" wide roll, 35 gauge. Any other suggestions?

Personally I would just stick with the zip locks, any reason ya want to change. Dont get me wrong cling film will work also.

Personally I would just stick with the zip locks, any reason ya want to change. Dont get me wrong cling film will work also.
Biggest reason is that most of my briskets wont fit in a bag, unless I cut it up, and I dont like to cut until I serve.

Also was wondering about reheating (up to a bout 180deg) in cling film, then cut and serve.

Biggest reason is that most of my briskets wont fit in a bag, unless I cut it up, and I dont like to cut until I serve.

Also was wondering about reheating (up to a bout 180deg) in cling film, then cut and serve.
Yep it would be hard to fit a brisket in a zip loc. I can't comment on the cling wrap being heated but we do use it microwaves to cover food. Another option might be wrap in steak paper then tin foil. I'm sure someone with more knowledge with cling film will be around to help you out.

The cling wrap from Sam's club and Costco are made for food service applications and can be heated; I don't know the max temperature. I use a vacuum sealer. You can buy the bags by the role to customize the size to fit the need.

If you budget permits it, I would definitely get a vac sealer. You can keep meat frozen for a year & just put the bag in simmering water for about an hour & it tastes just like it just came off the smoker.
Al

I smoke 8 pork buttes at a crack. When I pull them, I vacuum seal them in 1# packages & freeze. Those vacseal bags are boiling pot safe so .....I take a frozen package out and reheat it in the package in a pot of boiling water on the stove. No drying out. Tastes as good as the day I put it in there.

Most oven safe plastic wrap should only be used at 210* and below in my opinion. It's rated for 250* but that is pretty much its melting temp. So if you stay below 220* you are good.

I have a vacuum sealer, but I still use plastic wrap most often for holding food in the refer.
Then I steam it in the plastic to reheat it.

Last edited:
Thanks, I like the plastic wrap because I dont have to get out a vac sealer, also the rolls are 2000' long and will last my lifetime!

So I used to just cut meat up, and put in a foil tray, or wrap in foil. I noticed it would dry out, so then I started using zip lock bags. (I would pull pork, and store, squeezing air out). For brisket though, I was going to use cling film.

What do you folks use? I also see BBQ restraunts store meats in cling film, and even keep in a hot box. Is that safe?

Was going to get 24" wide roll, 35 gauge. Any other suggestions?
I use a vacuum sealer for anything going into a freezer. I can boil the bags to reheat. The meat stores pergect in them. Almost tastes fresh of the smoker. Short term I use Stretch-Tite brand cling wrap. Its the best cling wrap i,ve ever tried. I've used it to cover trays in a hot box on a few occasions with no issues.

Just bought a vacuum sealer, the Inkbird with the discount code from this site is like 30 bucks. Works great for a backyard cook not using it everyday. I've cut down significantly on waste. I hated firing up the offset and burning expensive wood when I couldn't fill it up. With the vacuum sealer I can cook way more than we can eat and seal it and freeze it for later use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky