Storing Homemade BBQ Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
I understand that homemade sauces are good for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator. I often have extra sauce with just the two of us. Would it be safe to pour the extra sauce into a vacuum bag, vacuum seal it, then freeze it?

ED3A8B2A-5EC2-40A5-B7F6-06BA95F3A582.jpeg

Sure, you can freeze the sauce.
Two ways to do it.
Add the sauce to the vacuum bag or bags, try to stand the bag or bags up in the freezer.
When the sauce is frozen, vacuum seal the bag or bags.
Or you could pour the sauce in ziplock bags, remove as much are as possible before sealing closed then place the sealed ziplock bag into the vac bag for sealing.

Frozen sauce will last in the freezer about 3-4 months.

Hmmm.... By whatever reason I was under impression that BBQ souse packed in vacuum bag and frozen could be kept in freezer for at least one year... Wondering why it can't...
It can, and much longer than that.
Personally, I'd pour it into a cheap zippy bag and flatten it in the freezer. Then once froze poke a few holes in the zippy and vacuum seal it, that way they will all lay flat for more room in the freezer.

Personally, I'd pour it into a cheap zippy bag and flatten it in the freezer. Then once froze poke a few holes in the zippy and vacuum seal it, that way they will all lay flat for more room in the freezer.

^^^^^^^ Great idea for making space in freezer. ^^^^^^
Yes it will keep for a very long time , best flavor probably up to 6 months , than things start to change a little, just my thoughts, with things I have frozen

David

Reactions: OldSmoke
Depending upon how much you make, another option is to can it, just like salsa, tomatoes, etc. Little more effort, but if you are making a very large batch may be an option to think about. Shelf life probably in 12 months range.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Thank you, forktender. This is what I though.
best flavor probably up to 6 months , than things start to change a little, just my thoughts, with things I have frozen
Agreed. I noticed (with different vac sealed and frozen food) that taste change a bit depending how long you keep it frozen...
You could make a shelf stable product that is good for 18 months.
This is interesting - I never knew that I can can BBQ Sause. Only one problem - you have to make a whole bunch of Sause to fill your canner and run it efficiently....

Thank you, forktender. This is what I though.

Agreed. I noticed (with different vac sealed and frozen food) that taste change a bit depending how long you keep it frozen...

This is interesting - I never knew that I can can BBQ Sause. Only one problem - you have to make a whole bunch of Sause to fill your canner and run it efficiently....
You can just use jars of water to fill up the rest of your water bath if you don't want to make a big batch of sauce

If you use a recipe designed for a water bath canner, no. If you use a recipe designed for pressure canning, one of the many reliable sources says.... yes. About 5 years ago 'Ball' included a statement in it canning book 'The Ball Blue Book' that read: To ensure proper pressure and temperature is achieved for safe processing, you must process at least 2 quart or 4 pint jars in the pressure canner at one time. The logic has to do with proper heating and cooling during the process. The easy way to comply is to can more food at once, OR put a few jars of water in the canner with used lids to make up the difference.

Another idea is to mix and match. I make pizza sauce, but I could make jars of pizza sauce and BBQ sauce in the same load. Or two kinds of BBQ sauce.
PwoOmba.jpg

Agreed. I noticed (with different vac sealed and frozen food) that taste change a bit depending how long you keep it frozen.

Thanks pushok2018, I only mentioned the freezing and not the water bath process is that oldsmoke mentioned about freezing. I do a lot of canning and that is how I would save , just make it in larger batches.

David

so what does store bought sauce have in it that it lasts so long, {not canned in pressure cooker}and remember the date is best used by not kill ya next month..

just checked my fridge the sweet baby raes has no best used by date that i could find or the bottle of back rib sauce..

Hmmm.... By whatever reason I was under impression that BBQ souse packed in vacuum bag and frozen could be kept in freezer for at least one year... Wondering why it can't...

That was based on personal experience. After 6 mos in the freezer, the sauce just didn't taste the same. Was it the sauce or the taster, who knows?

so what does store bought sauce have in it that it lasts so long, {not canned in pressure cooker}and remember the date is best used by not kill ya next month..
There might be added preservative ingredients, but most sauces contain vinegar, so that's a good start. Store bought sauce has been processed with heat/pressure and then sealed. Even the sauces in plastic bottles and that's why it's shelf stable for a period of time which the manufacturer establishes and prints on the bottle.

Once opened it has a short life if it's not refrigerated, or like many Q joints.... it's on the table during the day, and refrigerated at night (hopefully). The 6 or 8 months it is still good in your fridge might be recommended from the manufacturer, but it's up to you to make the final call. Bottom line, don't buy too big of a container. :emoji_laughing:
ggZCgSr.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky