Hit me with a nice tangy bbq sauce!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Often wanted to try Malcom’s stuff, I’ll pull the trigger one if these day, love his vids.

You won't regret it.

Kosmos ( I'm sure you've seen Kosmos on the net ? ) carries Malcolms stuff in his shop here locally. I was buying the Killer Hog sauce there and fella workin the store told me it was a top 3 sauce nationally. What list or who made the list, I've no idea. But they must be pretty good at rating sauces.

I haven't used this particular one,
Any and all of the Lillie's sauces and rubs I've used are fantastic for what I like .
Some will Say Lillie's in big letters , but others will say " Carolina whatever " and have Lillie's in small letters .
WaterRat WaterRat
I haven't used the sauce on the right yet , but says tangy , no sugar added . That's not a Lillie's sauce , but I like the Carolina stuff . I saw a 3 pack of different sauces on Amazon .
1692966593475.png

Any and all of the Lillie's sauces and rubs I've used are fantastic for what I like .
Some will Say Lillie's in big letters , but others will say " Carolina whatever " and have Lillie's in small letters .
WaterRat WaterRat
I haven't used the sauce on the right yet , but says tangy , no sugar added . That's not a Lillie's sauce , but I like the Carolina stuff . I saw a 3 pack of different sauces on Amazon .
View attachment 674428
Cool, thnx Chop!

Make your own?

I start with a 50/50 mix of Heinz ketchup and vinegar.

Pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, worcestershire, lemon juice, lime juice, pineapple juice....whatever...

add something, taste, repeat....

a splash of your favorite hot sauce.....

Reactions: Smokin Okie
Hey All,

I’m trying to find a nice tangy, peppery bbq sauce. Now I don’t mean a finishing sauce for pulled pork, but a tomato based sauce that isn’t so damn sweet. All I find at the store is: Sweet; SuperSweet; Extra Sweet with Chipotle; Extra Super Sweet with extra Honey and Hickory… etc…. The Shed used to make some sauces I liked but they seem to have disappeared. Blues Hog Tennessee Red is decent but I’ve run out of extra kidneys to sell to afford it 🤪

So if you have a recipe that fits the bill and don’t mind sharing, drop it on me! Hot or not, thats easy to adjust.

Thanks,
Aaron
I typically make my own googling copy cat recipes, when there's not an expert on here. I always have a bottle of home made carolina vinegar (no mustard) in the refrigerator, mostly for pulled pork.

The best barbecue sauce I ever tasted, I made myself, on my stove. I didn't use a recipe and didn't measure anything - I just figured it out on my own. I used Heinz Ketchup, Grandma's molasses, granulated garlic, granulated onion, and liquid hickory smoke.

For some strange reason it just came out perfect. I haven't been able to repeat it since :emoji_laughing: mostly because I think that Heinz messed with their recipe and the Ketchup is now 90% high-fructose corn syrup...

• Sad
Reactions: Fueling Around
I've become a fan of Carolina style sauces that are more mustard/vinegar forward, and not sweet like most tomato based sauces.
Have you ever tasted Chic-Fil-A sauce? It is on the sweet side but definately mustard based. It's not bad.

Reactions: DougE
The best barbecue sauce I ever tasted, I made myself, on my stove. I didn't use a recipe and didn't measure anything - I just figured it out on my own. I used Heinz Ketchup, Grandma's molasses, granulated garlic, granulated onion, and liquid hickory smoke.

For some strange reason it just came out perfect. I haven't been able to repeat it since :emoji_laughing: mostly because I think that Heinz messed with their recipe and the Ketchup is now 90% high-fructose corn syrup...
as old-timers sets in here, I'm going to regret not writing shit own when i concoct it.

Reactions: Retired Spook

I did that last winter. Added some of this and that. Not a clue how to replicate

So a great way to "make your own" (sort of) - this is one I have used for years and you can make it as tangy, spicy, or sweet as you want but it is a 1000% improvement on the base sauce.

1 Cup Sweet Baby Ray's original
1/2 Cup apple juice
1/2 Cup cider vinegar
1/4 Cup dark molasses - to start, may add more
1//4 Cup Beaver brand Sweet Hot Mustard - basically honey mustard with horseradish added to it. (optional)

Heat everything up just enough to let it combine well, but you don't want to cook it very long or you will evaporate off all of the vinegar. Once it has combined well taste it.... it will have a nice tang, an underlying sweetness, and a very nice depth of flavor from the molasses. It will be a thinner sauce, but it will thicken up a bit once it cools.

If you want more heat you can either add black pepper, cayenne pepper, or tabasco sauce until you reach your desired heat level. If you feel like you need more sweet add more molasses and possibly even a little bit of brown sugar.

This has been my go-to sauce for over 10 years now, and everyone who I have ever served it to loves it.

Reactions: Hijack73
So a great way to "make your own" (sort of) - this is one I have used for years and you can make it as tangy, spicy, or sweet as you want but it is a 1000% improvement on the base sauce.

1 Cup Sweet Baby Ray's original
1/2 Cup apple juice
1/2 Cup cider vinegar
1/4 Cup dark molasses - to start, may add more
1//4 Cup Beaver brand Sweet Hot Mustard - basically honey mustard with horseradish added to it. (optional)

Heat everything up just enough to let it combine well, but you don't want to cook it very long or you will evaporate off all of the vinegar. Once it has combined well taste it.... it will have a nice tang, an underlying sweetness, and a very nice depth of flavor from the molasses. It will be a thinner sauce, but it will thicken up a bit once it cools.

If you want more heat you can either add black pepper, cayenne pepper, or tabasco sauce until you reach your desired heat level. If you feel like you need more sweet add more molasses and possibly even a little bit of brown sugar.

This has been my go-to sauce for over 10 years now, and everyone who I have ever served it to loves it.
Similar to my 'fix' except I use brown sugar if I need a little more sweet.

I use less ACV and much prefer dark fruit juices. Pomegranate went into my last batch (I used POM brand 100% pomegranate) and it really hit nicely.

Aaron Franklin's standard sauce has a nice tang to it but lends a lil better for beef due to the cumin in it, but that has a nice tang.
I have made this sauce too and completely agree. Only thing I do differently is add 1/2 tsp cayenne to give it some heat. Aaron suggests this sauce for his brisket and dinos.

Here's the recipe copied from the internet:
  • 1 14-ounce bottle of ketchup (I buy ketchup in bulk so I use about 2 cups)
  • ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp water
  • ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
  • ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp white vinegar
  • ¼ cup plus 1½ tsp brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp plus 1½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbsp chile powder
  • 1 Tbsp ground cumin
  • 1½ tsp kosher salt
  • 1½ tsp coarse black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Reduce to low and let it go for 10 minutes then remove from heat and let it cool

Reactions: WaterRat
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky