Stoker vs Guru

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
heres todays updates:

dd118e36_IMG_1069.jpg

e027a5b8_IMG_1070.jpg

549322ef_IMG_1071.jpg

All right, just so ya know, for two reasons you are earning the YOU SUCK award!!!!!!!  LOL    The welder is #1 thats an awesome machine. And #2 is that you are way ahead of me on the build. 

It looks freakin awesome, I love it.

I called the metal supply the other day for prices on another job and about choked out when I got a quote on a sheet of 14 ga.  More or less its 100 bucks for a 4x8 sheet. So it looks like I am gonna end up spending around 250 to 300 for the steel I need for my build. Plus or minus of course. 

Then I have the insulation and the cost of bending for my skins. So I bet I jump up over 500, and thats without the stoker. 
frown.gif

Keep up the great work. And thanks for sharing.

lol! fyi, the welder isnt mine.  neither is the plasma cutter.  Its at my dads work, and since he's the main maintenance guy, we get to go in there and do our own projects.  I think I have about 600 in the steel so far..... more than I was expecting, but thats partly due to the fact that instead of 14/16ga steel for the walls, my dad ordered 1/8 plate.  So this sucka is heavy!!!!  Also, Ive been able to use a few odds and ends from his shop (such as the insulation) because they supply steel mills with different equipment, so they have alot of high temp stuff around.  So far, per dad's boss, its costing me some smoked duck, goose, and pulled pork.  LOL!!!  Fair trade in my opinion!!!

57a9a2f5_IMG_1072.jpg

last pic from today.  was leaving for dinner and didnt get to upload it first.  lol

should be more tomorrow.  HOPEFULLY have it wrapped up by Tuesday....have about 50lbs of pork/brisket/chicken to smoke for sunday

Thats still awesome to be able to have access to such a cool shop. The insulation is a fantastic score. Looking good, your in the home stretch. 

todays updates:

got all the skin on except for an access hatch were putting in, and the front face.  got the top, 3 sides, interior, and bottom skin finished.  Heres the show!

a78df191_IMG_1074.jpg

3456b1cf_IMG_1075.jpg

050d6738_IMG_1076.jpg

a841bc80_IMG_1077.jpg

thats the access hatch we're putting in the rear panel.  That way if I ever need to do anything to the charcoal chute/firebox, I can easily do it w/o having to cut the thing up.

1867ed4d_IMG_1078.jpg

b3bff591_IMG_1079.jpg

Looks fantastic!!!!! 

When's the smoke gonna roll?

BTW..... I got nothing done at all this weekend on my rig. 5 weeks to go, Hope I make it. 

ive got more pics to update...too beat to upload them.  got the doors hung and sealed.  hope to wrap it up and get the latches, shelves, ball valve, and exhaust in tomorrow.  That will get it useable for the party im hosting this weekend.  after that, it will be back in the shop for hours of finish welding/grinding on the outside to get it ready for a coat of color.  Im actually going to put truck bedliner on it.  helps hide some of my flaws.  lol!

I think it looks great man. 

A while back I was reading a clone thread over on the prairie site where the guy used staniless for the skins. Then he polished it to a mirror finish, OMG that was cool looking when he was finished. Tons of work tho.

Your gonna have to keep us up to date on the maiden voyage this weekend.

2fb664c1_IMG_1084.jpg

b951cdcf_IMG_1087.jpg

7962b7e1_IMG_1088.jpg

first smoke!

ran great! ran it up to 365 but shut it down cuz i started to  blow some spot welds on my exterior panel.  lol!

anyways, ill get more pics today when she's fired up for cooking! ive got 30lbs of pork shoulder, 25lbs of brisket, 20 lbs of chicken, and about 10 lbs of baked beans to cook for tomorrow.  yum!

You run it much higher then that and its gonna be like cooking in a microwave. LOL

Nice work, can't wait to see it all polished up and shining like a diamond.

You run it much higher then that and its gonna be like cooking in a microwave. LOL

Nice work, can't wait to see it all polished up and shining like a diamond.
lol tru.  The reason I did that was I love doing smoked pizza.  so if I can get it to 350-400, thats perfect!  Ive got more pics from last weekends initial cook.  Ill post them up here in a few minutes

everything turned out very well.  It fed 80+ people, and had rave reviews.  A couple of negatives though.  One, I didn't get a shot of the baked beans before they were devoured.  Another, I overslept, and so I didn't give it the attention it needed, meaning It was tougher than i had wanted... that was definitely my bad....

Fortunately, it wasn't bad enough to ruin it.  I didn't have any complaints on the food.  So far, I love the smoker.  I love the stoker too.  Definitely worth the money if you are smoking anything for more than just yourself....

Here's a question that brings this thread back around....after a few minutes of being logged into the stoker on my network, it loses communication.  Now, it does this via hard wire, wireless, indoor, outside, and separate computers.  Ive tried ruling out everything possible.  Windows firewall included.  I end up having to manually go into the stoker and make it re-acquire an IP from my router.  Again, just a temp fix. 

Also, I cant get stoker-log software to work at all.  it just crashes.  and it does it on two different computers, one running win7, one vista.  Any help?

Can't help you with the software, but I gotta tell you that everything you cooked looked very good. I can see why you got rave reviews. Congrats!

Reactions: calebstringer
you have to run "stokerlog" as administrator or it will crash.  Go in to properties of it and select to run as admin and it should work.

everything turned out very well.  It fed 80+ people, and had rave reviews.  A couple of negatives though.  One, I didn't get a shot of the baked beans before they were devoured.  Another, I overslept, and so I didn't give it the attention it needed, meaning It was tougher than i had wanted... that was definitely my bad....

Fortunately, it wasn't bad enough to ruin it.  I didn't have any complaints on the food.  So far, I love the smoker.  I love the stoker too.  Definitely worth the money if you are smoking anything for more than just yourself....

Here's a question that brings this thread back around....after a few minutes of being logged into the stoker on my network, it loses communication.  Now, it does this via hard wire, wireless, indoor, outside, and separate computers.  Ive tried ruling out everything possible.  Windows firewall included.  I end up having to manually go into the stoker and make it re-acquire an IP from my router.  Again, just a temp fix. 

Also, I cant get stoker-log software to work at all.  it just crashes.  and it does it on two different computers, one running win7, one vista.  Any help?

That monster is going to last a couple lifetimes, Nice work mister!!! I just have a primogrill and a Bradley smoker so I use a Auber PID on the bradley and a BBQ Guru on the primo on low and slow cooks. I like them both a lot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky