Still learning this pellet grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomhooper

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 10, 2016
College Station, Texas
Still trying to get the hang of this pellet grill after 40 years using an offset. I'll get there eventually.
Picked up a trimmed brisket flat the other day.
brisket04172022.jpg

Used spicy brown mustard as binder then rubbed with Himalayan pink salt, coarse ground black pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder.
brisketmustardrub04172022.jpg

Hit a stall at about 155 so I wrapped it. I think that was my downfall as far as the bark was concerned. Never developed much. Thinking I should have left it unwrapped to get better bark. Oh well, I'll try it again.
brisketstall04172022.jpg

It actually turned out really good. Very moist and had a really good taste. I'll get it figured out eventually.
I've never wrapped before but started doing so because it seemed the stalls on this pit lasted a lot longer than on my offset. Guess I'll just allow for a longer stall from now on.
brisketfinished04172022.jpg
brisketsliced04172022.jpg

Looks great to me . I use pink paper . That helps with the bark . What did you use ?

Had a great taste and texture. I just like more bark on my briskets. Just need to experiment a little.
I never wrap on my offset. I just think I need to plan on a 2 hour stall for length of cook. This one hit 205 in about 9 hours. Stall lasted about half an hour before I wrapped then pushed on through pretty quick after that.

Nice looking flat. My last brisket cook was a trimmed flat.

What temp setting on the controller?
I see you used a smoke tube. I use one too. Sometimes more than 1.
Which side of the grate is the controller temp probe? Mine is on the right side and I learned to keep the tube well away from the probe.
I will smoke for awhile in the grill, but foil pan it until the stall. Once stalled, I foil cover and often move it to the oven.
After wrapping all you are doing is pooping pellets for heat.
Finishing in a foil pan gives air space that lets the bark develop.

Reactions: OldSmoke
thats a win, i would eat that up! seems like you are getting the hang of it.

Controller was set at 250 to hold 215-220 actual pit temp. Smoke tube is over in the general vicinity of the TC but I've had the same variation without the smoke tube so that isn't the problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky