Sticks For Me

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Going to do some slim jims for myself this time. Here is the ingredients. Undecided if i want to use fermento or eca yet. Doing 5 lbs and vac seal to take to NOLA and snack on with some friends.

f29fbcd8_DSC00393.jpg

Holy guacamole..that's a lot of ingredients there.

What's in the bowl with the blue lid??

Waiting patiently for the rest of the story.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Craig

Getting ready to mix all this up for sticks. I'm going with the 5 lbs batch. Just reduce the recipe in half for 5 lbs ( recipe below)

cc6ae991_DSC00411.jpg

Recipe

For 10 pounds. If you want a 5 pound batch just cut everything in half
10 pounds of lean beef, any type of cut will do.
2 level tsp Cure#1, If doing 10lb mix cure with 2 Tbs water, 5lb mix with 1 Tbs water, mix to dissolve. Add into meat with other items.
4 Tbsp paprika
6 tbsp ground mustard
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp ground celery seed (you can grind this a tad if you like)
1 Tbsp mace
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp granulated onion
2 1/2 ounces salt or 3-4 Tbs to taste
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup Molasses or Black Strap or Dark corn syrup or cane syrup, whichever you like.
6 ounces Fermento or powdered buttermilk. You can also use ECA If you dont have the other 2. And if you dont have any just run down to the store and get some buttermilk, Use 1.5 cups for 10 lbs and 3/4 cup for 5 lbs of meat. Dont mix the cure into the BM.

Add all above and mix very well.
Stuff into 17-19mm collagen casings. Smoke as normal

icon_cool.gif

Now that is a mess of ingredients for sure. I think that the list sounds pretty good and all. I wouldn't mine tring this one.

Got them stuffed, kinda tight on the 20mm casing.

488c999d_DSC00415.jpg

In the smoker.

4dcd3f3c_DSC00416.jpg

Temp is steady for 1 hour. Close to smoke time.

0f529287_DSC00419.jpg

Opened the bottom door to put the wood in.

f99c3224_DSC00418.jpg

Had a blow out from stuffing to tight. So i had to improvise some.

b89d2eeb_DSC00424.jpg

Blooming pics later.

Holy guacamole..that's a lot of ingredients there.

What's in the bowl with the blue lid??

Waiting patiently for the rest of the story.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Craig
Thats ground celery seed

Got the sticks done and blooming now.

Here they are close to comeing out of the smoker.

e1114d1b_DSC00426.jpg

Used my Maverick (normally dont) but it beats going out in the cold and ice every hour to check temps. Thats the pool out there.

65331ab3_DSC00425.jpg

Blooming sticks.

900b727d_DSC00427.jpg

Going to paper bag them in the fridge for a couple days.

Got the sticks cut and ready to bag. The ones with the ends cut are the sticks that had the casing malfunction.

fb9eb65a_DSC00433.jpg

bc21ffe7_DSC00432.jpg

They look darn good as always Nepas. What size casing did you use? In the last couple pictures they looked large, like a 24-26. Hmmm just rereading your recipe and I don't see a binder. Interesting

Awesome looking sticks as usual coming from a little North of here!!   
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the views,

Bear

I dont use binders much. The casings are 17 and 20mm. I used some of the older vac sealed 20mm, them are the ones i stuffed tight and popped the ends off.

EDIT ON THE RECIPE: You can use more than 1-2 Tbs of water to mix the cure in to dissolve. Use as much as 3/4 - 1 cup of water, Mix in the other dry and molassas to the cure water and you will have a thick mix, This incorporates better into the meat. Sorry for not being clear on the original post.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky