Stick storage before gifting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Good morning

What do you recommend for the best storage options for future gifting of snack sticks?

Im planning to make and give out some snack sticks around the holidays, and if I get a head start in the next week or so, curious for best keeping for up to a couple of weeks before gifting.

Vac seal, freeze, and then thaw out before gifting?

I'd use a safe and calculated amount of cure, and then refrigerate. The problem with freezing is that if they thaw (even partially) during shipping, travel, or for any other holiday-rush-related reason, you can't really re-freeze them. Or is that just an Ol' Wives' Tale?

I leave mine in the fridge . Heck I put them in a paper bag and hold in the fridge for a week before I eat any . Couple weeks vac'd and in a 36 / 38 degree fridge is fine in my opinion .

Reactions: bill1
Yup leave the sticks in fridge in paper bag for couple days then cut to lengths and vac seal.

I sent my sons sticks when they were in Iraq and Afgan 20 lbs each in vac bags and they arrived perfect. What cool is blow hot air popcorn in the gift box, makes great packing. I went thru 10 bags of popcorn in their boxes.

Are you going to use cure? That will increase the life of them. You mailing them?

Yes - cure is used. No, not mailing them. They will be locally delivered.

I'd use a safe and calculated amount of cure, and then refrigerate. The problem with freezing is that if they thaw (even partially) during shipping, travel, or for any other holiday-rush-related reason, you can't really re-freeze them. Or is that just an Ol' Wives' Tale?

Is the concern of freezing and thawing, assuming that the recipient may try to re-freeze them?

...No, not mailing them. They will be locally delivered....Is the concern of freezing and thawing, assuming that the recipient may try to re-freeze them?
Yes, that was my fear. Not that you would re-freeze them but the recipient might.

Reactions: illini40
You can keep the sticks vac sealed in the fridge for 2 weeks with no problem. So, make them a week ahead of time. And then they can decide to eat right away or freeze.

Reactions: bill1 and illini40
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky