Step by Step Smoked Corn on the Cob

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It was Beakers corn, but your way of smokin it. Liked it with the spices on it. Don't remember what it was. Erics KC rub?

MARK............after staying up all nite...........and hanging with YOU two.........you THINK I REMEMBER?................LOLOLOLOL

I almost hate to say this and I'm not saying that leaving the husk on is wrong, because its good that way too. But I find that corn smokes really well in my MES completely Naked. I remove all the husk and silk lay the corn on a grill ( No Oils or anything else ) at 230f in hickory or alder smoke for 1hour 30 minutes. When the kernels start to get flat on the top instead of rounded and plump the corn is done. Butter and salt are now added for a really great smokey flavour. Simple as all get out but really the flavour cannot be beat.

If you have leftover corn the next day it is just as good if you put it on a plate with a second plate inverted on the top. Nuke it till its hot and viola just as good as when it was freshly smoked.

The inverted plate method keeps it really moist.

My dogs absolutly love the chewed up leftover cobs off of your plate. They will strip any semblance of corn off till the cob is clean as a whistle. Only then do they get thrown out. For this reason we butter our corn but do not put salt and pepper on them. Which is not good for dogs I understand.

I am always up for new and great items to spice up my food but Im not too sure about this one... But I have been wrong before...

I have often wondered why we are encouraged to remove the silk from the corn prior to cooking.

I usually trim just the hairy end off and throw them in the smoker to "stew in their own juices". I kinda figure nature did such a wonderful job wrapping them so tightly, why mess with perfection?

Being as the corn is too hot for most of the family (kids) to dehusk anyway, I usually complete this job myself just prior to serving and have found (although hot to handle) if I wrap my hand around the corn and gently pull downward while hanging on to the husk that all the silk slides right off.

Is their any benefit to removing the silk prior to cooking or is it just for convenience sake?

I now have seen the light... or should I say smoke...

Step 5: Brilliant... lol...

like I said, duuuuuuuuuh... something so simple can be so overlooked..

Thnx!!!
icon_cool.gif

Here's a big thank you from Down Under.

Harvested my corn crop a couple of days ago and was wondering if anyone smoked corn so set about to find a way, unfortunately I didn't come across your tutorial until I had tried and failed.

Thanks a bunch for your picture story and no doubt I'll be doing it your way next time, by the way I was well off the mark the way I tried but I'll keep that my secret.

Turkey and veg just around the corner so I'll do the corn as well.

Cheers from Down Under

I love smoked corn. I like to coat the ears with half a stick of butter mixed with 1Tsp of Tyme. Cover with husks and put in smoker

My suggestion, remove the silk, remove the husk, forget soaking the corn.

Once you've got naked, clean cobs, cut them into sections, approximately the width of a slice of bacon...you see where this is going don't you?

Wrap the corn in the bacon, you want to get the bacon to wrap around the edge of the outer kernels if you can, otherwise they will dry out, and you'll want to tease the bacon to get a little more length out of it, and a fairly tight wrap, pin with a toothpick.

I haven't actually timed these, I smoke by eye and nose unless the object being smoked is large enough to take temps meaningfully...but I think it was in the 90 minute range. 

And don't forget, remind the diners to mind the picks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky