Started a Brisket @ 7AM.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tktplz

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Read thread after thread on smokin' the brisky and have a firm grasp on that. I have a new MES 30 1st gen. How many times do I add chips for smoke? And how often? I have added Pecan chips twice, once each 30 minutes so far.

Chips are smoldering the whole time till they are spent? Or as the element cycles the chips smolder and stop? Light smoke or thin? Or is it thick the entire time they are smoldering? Would say 2 hours is minimum and can go till the meat is wrapped if you wanted.. 4 hours sounds good.

Reactions: tktplz
Johnny, the chips are spent each time I pull the chip adding piece out the side of the smoker. I can see down into the area where the chips are burning. It's about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of chips the adder can hold each time. I wouldn't have added water to the water bowl but this brisket is a monster @ 19.4 lbs. I cut it in half. The point on top, flat underneath it. Both on the upper racks to keep away from the heating element. Both 12" across and the smoker has room for 13 inches so both almost cover their racks. It's going to be a long day into the night. Good thing I have some whiskey for late night tonight. I'll nap this afternoon. I used to use a Brinkman charcoal smoker before. This is the 1st with the MES 30. I do a Paleo diet and want new tastes in meat. Gonna be a fun learning process.

Read thread after thread on smokin' the brisky and have a firm grasp on that. I have a new MES 30 1st gen. How many times do I add chips for smoke? And how often? I have added Pecan chips twice, once each 30 minutes so far.

Hi there and welcome!
If you are getting good Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) then I would apply pecan smoke for at least 5 hours.
I run the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) with 100% Lumberjack Mesquite pellets for 8 hours and get amazing flavor! These pellets also produce the best TBS I have seen so far. I can't even see the smoke 95% of the time coming out of my smoker!

Don't know the smoke I'm getting because it's in the 40's here this morning. If it is smoke and not the humidity and steam coming out of the smoker it is TBS. The front window is steamed over too. I was going to run it dry but with the size of the brisket, 19.4 lbs. I know it will take a while to get to the stall then on from there, more hours. So I filled to water bowl with boiling water to start this morning. Thanks for the tips!

With the knowledge from all the years of experience on this forum and not being afraid of the search feature I smoked a 19.4 lb. untrimmed brisket that my neighbors said I should start selling, LOL! Following directions and remembering from 58 years of experience on this earth that usually simpler is better and go from there. I arrived with an MES 30, 1st use after seasoning, "The Brisky!" Next stop.......The Pork Shoulder, 99 cents a lb. I see 2 in the near future, next weekend to be exact. Better get to reading and learning. This is fun!!! IMG_5232.JPG IMG_5233.JPG

Reactions: tallbm
Looks great!
I'm glad to hear everyone enjoyed it. If you find you want more control over your smoke look into the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS). Most MES owners go that route at some point to de-couple heat generation from smoke generation. Also the AMNPS gives Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) with no extra effort :)

Looks great!
I'm glad to hear everyone enjoyed it. If you find you want more control over your smoke look into the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS). Most MES owners go that route at some point to de-couple heat generation from smoke generation. Also the AMNPS gives Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) with no extra effort :)

Yes, I will look into the AMNPS. At this point, I have 3, 2 lb bags of pecan chips and 6 bags of apple chips, 2 lbs each. I'll have to go thru that before I switch tho. They were on sale at wally world for 2.50 a bag if you pick up at the store. So I bought those 2 kinds of wood for beef, pork, poultry, and fish.

I keep smoke going almost all the time I'm smoking, whether it is in the MES or the stick burner.

The only exception is if I have ribs wrapped and in the MES. No reason to waste wood on something wrapped in foil.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky