St Patrick's-Time for Corned Beef & Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

macbillybob

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
San Antonio Texas
Put a brisket into the brine this weekend for some corned beef and pastrami. I cut the full brisket in half and will smoke the flat with pepper and coriander for Pastrami.

Big end will go into a pot with cabbage and other veggies. HELLO CORNED BEEF. How about a green beer to go with it or at least a beer with a green label.

75de285e_CornedBeefPastramiBrining.jpg

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Sounds real good there my friend. Let us know how it turns out. One of my favorite things to smoke is pastrami. I won't turn down a green beer either!

eman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
Feb 3, 2009
Ross,

if i am going to have corn beef this year i'll have to make it my self. Looked yesterday and a small corned beef roast was $4.40 lb.

macbillybob

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
San Antonio Texas
Ross,

if i am going to have corn beef this year i'll have to make it my self. Looked yesterday and a small corned beef roast was $4.40 lb.
No kidding. The price of the brisket was close to double what I usually get them for down here. I buy the large and untrimmed brisket and usually you can find them for $1-1.20/lb. This one was almost $2/lb. The trimed ones were almost $4.

Hey, it's cheaper than eating out.....and better too.

uncle_lar

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Feb 4, 2009
Hennepin, Illinois
I picked up 2 full packer briskets yesterday. going to trim and get into the brine tonight.

I will post some pics of the progerss also.

I will be making pastrami and corned beef from mine too

I paid 2.28# at wal-mart for the IBP brisket

macbillybob

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
San Antonio Texas
Corned Beef and Pastrami have come out of the brine today. I think I will smoke the Pastrami today. It is a beautiful day here in S Texas. 40's this morning but sun is out and it should be a nice 70 this afternoon. Perfect smoking weather.

Pastrami is covered with toasted and cracked Coriander and Black Pepper. I plan on smoking to an IT of 150. I will probably cut it in half and freeze one. When I get ready to slice and eat it I steam it for 2-3 hours until tender. Yummy. Rye bread and mustard here we come.

Whoops almost forgot the picture.

5f90febe_CornedBeefPastramioutofBrine.jpg

Last edited:

macbillybob

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
San Antonio Texas
Question for you Pastrami Smokers.....Do you hang it like bacon or just put it on a rack?

I have always put it on a rack but thought I would ask. Probably doesn't make much diff

macbillybob

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
San Antonio Texas
That's what I did today. Smoker temp currently around 150 with pecan.

I will jack it up later in order to get the 150 IT.

Might try the apple juice thingy. Sounds like a bit of added flavor.

a4d42992_smoker.jpg
eef05ba6_inthesmoker.jpg

Latest posts

Hot Threads