St. Louis ribs question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

Gonna do some ribs on the 560 and have a question. I usually wrap but I' am thinking of going no wrap or butcher paper. How will this change the cook time. I only did a no wrap once and they seemed over cooked. Thoughts on butcher ??? kinda a middle choice between no wrap and foil. Got Honey Killer Bee and Dirty Bird rub on em chillin in the fridge for a couple hours.

I will throw them on about midnight pacific :<). Work graves and we're not allowed bbqs so gotta be sneaky. I will post pics and maybe throw up a youtube vid. Depends how much i drink before hand

For st. Louis and baby back I do 2-2-1 method or just let them roll for 5 hours. I honestly haven’t noticed much of a difference in wrapping or not.

Reactions: negolien
Yup I usually do 311 depends on the bark in the first set.

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 27
  • rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 29
I seem to be getting a different result then you guys. I'll mix it up depending on how many beers I've had or ambition level. SLC at 225, going 3-2 then caramelize on the grill, are done to our liking. Smoking Naked takes longer, close to 6 hours, to get to the same tenderness.
Why? Steaming in the Foil, cooks faster than Hot Air in the Smoker...JJ

Finished.. I ran out of charcoal towards the. It end took me about 15 mins to catch it and another 20 to restart it. Sucks trying to relight a dead bin. I had to take out the ash bin to get a started going so I didn't burn the **** outta myself. I hate it when that happens lol. Can run thru bin in 6 hours in the cold which I' am not a fan of. Kept falling apart trying to get a slice pic so /shrug lol. I just ate the parts that fell off. I gotta finda better way to get them outta the wrap I ALWAYS break em in half almost lol. I do have thick rubber BBQ gloves AND Nitrile. not sure Why I don't use em lol:roll::doh: hope you enjoy i sure did.

PS.

The 50/50 Kosmo's/Rays sauce.... AWESOME.
done1.jpg
done2.jpg

I like FOTB once in a while and that a perfect example. Bravo

Point for sure
Chris

I like mine with a little pull to them, but my wife likes FOTB, so I sometimes split the rack in half & do them both ways. I have tried butcher paper on ribs before, but I like foil better cause it holds more liquid in. But there is no arguing that your ribs look fantastic!
Al

Here it is plated picture taken with my Canon xs230 hs on auto setting at like 930 pm next night. Easier to cut em after they been sitting in the fridge for 17 hours :<). The other shots were a Samsung 9. I have a hard time getting good detail shots on glazed items like ribs with my phone. Any suggestions on settings for my real camera to help get more detail on full rib shots where they are all sauced?
ribs cannon.JPG

Last edited:
i do paper then foil myself

n those look delicious. i like ribs about all ways. been tryin to figure out how to use cure (+wrappin em) to further blur the line between FOTB and Pull. these were still steamin having been only about 15min out of the oven finishing at 345*.

didnt sauce after slicing (and flippin the meat on its side for the pic), either- It had just started drippin down the cracks when durin finishing and damn near the whole rib pulled off the bone itself lol. Had to be pretty careful. U can see towards the left (which hadnt fully pulled off the bone already) got about as messy as roast garlic.. & Id have served these to the big man upstairs if i dont say so myself
hamribs3-copy-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky