• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Spray or mop for pulled pork

Smoking at 4am

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 23, 2021
I'm doing a pork shoulder t
20210508_075850.jpg
oday. Is a mop/spray worth it? It's about 4.5lbs, starting at 8am, ending around 6pm. Any advice is appreciated, pictures to follow.

-4am

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 7, 2017
I'm doing a pork shoulder t View attachment 495607 oday. Is a mop/spray worth it? It's about 4.5lbs, starting at 8am, ending around 6pm. Any advice is appreciated, pictures to follow.

-4am
I’ve done both. With mixed results. What we (my family) like is using a finishing sauce:

Smoking at 4am

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 23, 2021
Sounds great! I'll definitely give this a try today.,
I’ve done both. With mixed results. What we (my family) like is using a finishing sauce:

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Pork butt is so automatic for good results I think it would just be busy work to mop or spray.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I have a bit of a different approach. Most of the time I smoke my butts in a pan with some chicken broth. So every 45 minutes or so I just take a Turkey blaster & suck the juice out of the pan & cover the butt with it. I guess there are as many ways to smoke a butt as there are for ribs. It’s hard to mess up a butt, so I’m sure whatever method you use, you will be happy! Also I do agree with using a finishing sauce, it really takes it to another level. Both JJ’s & SFQuer’s are great, but we prefer SFQuer’s, (no offense JJ!). Your recipes have always been fantastic, this is just a personal preference!:emoji_disappointed:
Al

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I'm doing a pork shoulder today. Is a mop/spray worth it? It's about 4.5lbs, starting at 8am, ending around 6pm. Any advice is appreciated, pictures to follow.

-4am

I never Mop or Spray, but I use an electric smoker, and it takes too long to recover after opening the door that long.
I also put the Butt on a Wire cooling rack, in a pan. The wire rack keeps it from sitting in it's own fats & juices, and allows the Smoke to get all around the roast.
Below are 3 different Step by Steps of Pulled Pork Butts:

Bear

Pulled Boston Pork Butt (230°--April 23, 2013) foiled
Pulled Boston Pork Butt (265°--Oct 21, 2018) foiled
Pulled Boston Pork Butt (275°--Sept , 2020) not foiled

copulas

Joined May 3, 2021
I Spray the meat with Apple cider vinigar. if you spray, try not to spray the fat. you want that to render down and if you spray/mop it it tends to slow down the rendering process.

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 29, 2018
^^^^^ this when I use my electric.

OldSmoke

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 5, 2020
I just did one about that size. When I pulled it out of the smoker, the bark looked a little dry. I wrapped in foil and towels and let it be for a couple of hours. When I unwrapped it, the foil was filled with juice and the bark was moist. I just don’t think opening and spraying during the cook would have accomplished anything. It certainly would have taken longer. It sure does taste good!

Smoking at 4am

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 23, 2021
Everything came out amazing, I made the classic Cole slaw from Jeff's first book and the finishing sauce recommended by yankee2bbq and I didn't spray or mop at all. However it did take 12&1/2 hours for some reason lol.
20210508_210453.jpg
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Attachments

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Looks good to me. And I have learned not to do anything to a timer. Go for IT and how well it probes.
Jim

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.