Spray or mop for pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking at 4am

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 23, 2021
Western Massachusetts
I'm doing a pork shoulder t
20210508_075850.jpg
oday. Is a mop/spray worth it? It's about 4.5lbs, starting at 8am, ending around 6pm. Any advice is appreciated, pictures to follow.

-4am

I'm doing a pork shoulder tView attachment 495607oday. Is a mop/spray worth it? It's about 4.5lbs, starting at 8am, ending around 6pm. Any advice is appreciated, pictures to follow.

-4am
I’ve done both. With mixed results. What we (my family) like is using a finishing sauce:

Sounds great! I'll definitely give this a try today.,
I’ve done both. With mixed results. What we (my family) like is using a finishing sauce:

Pork butt is so automatic for good results I think it would just be busy work to mop or spray.

I have a bit of a different approach. Most of the time I smoke my butts in a pan with some chicken broth. So every 45 minutes or so I just take a Turkey blaster & suck the juice out of the pan & cover the butt with it. I guess there are as many ways to smoke a butt as there are for ribs. It’s hard to mess up a butt, so I’m sure whatever method you use, you will be happy! Also I do agree with using a finishing sauce, it really takes it to another level. Both JJ’s & SFQuer’s are great, but we prefer SFQuer’s, (no offense JJ!). Your recipes have always been fantastic, this is just a personal preference!:emoji_disappointed:
Al

I'm doing a pork shoulder today. Is a mop/spray worth it? It's about 4.5lbs, starting at 8am, ending around 6pm. Any advice is appreciated, pictures to follow.

-4am

I never Mop or Spray, but I use an electric smoker, and it takes too long to recover after opening the door that long.
I also put the Butt on a Wire cooling rack, in a pan. The wire rack keeps it from sitting in it's own fats & juices, and allows the Smoke to get all around the roast.
Below are 3 different Step by Steps of Pulled Pork Butts:

Bear

Pulled Boston Pork Butt (230°--April 23, 2013) foiled
Pulled Boston Pork Butt (265°--Oct 21, 2018) foiled
Pulled Boston Pork Butt (275°--Sept , 2020) not foiled

Reactions: JLeonard
I Spray the meat with Apple cider vinigar. if you spray, try not to spray the fat. you want that to render down and if you spray/mop it it tends to slow down the rendering process.

I just did one about that size. When I pulled it out of the smoker, the bark looked a little dry. I wrapped in foil and towels and let it be for a couple of hours. When I unwrapped it, the foil was filled with juice and the bark was moist. I just don’t think opening and spraying during the cook would have accomplished anything. It certainly would have taken longer. It sure does taste good!

Everything came out amazing, I made the classic Cole slaw from Jeff's first book and the finishing sauce recommended by yankee2bbq and I didn't spray or mop at all. However it did take 12&1/2 hours for some reason lol.
20210508_210453.jpg
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Attachments

• 20210508_204535.jpg
    20210508_204535.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210508_210432.jpg
    20210508_210432.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 24
Looks good to me. And I have learned not to do anything to a timer. Go for IT and how well it probes.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky