SPLT (Ninja Made)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
SPLT (Ninja Made)

“Spam, Lettuce, and Tomato”

I made something like this last year, but I used the Frying Pan that time.
Well anyway, I thought about it a few times, but now that this Ninja makes so many things Great, including Spam, I told myself “Now is the Time”.

So I sliced a can of “Bacon Flavored Spam” into about 3/8” thick slices.

NOTE: I used “Bacon” flavored Spam, because it has the lowest amount of Sodium of all the Spam Flavors.
Then I set my Ninja on Air Fry @ 390°, and my timer on 20 minutes, and hit “Start”.
This starts the Preheat cycle, and when the Ninja says “ADD FOOD”, I added the 3 slices.
When I close the lid, that starts the timer count-down from the 20 minutes I set it for.
After 6 minutes, I flipped the slices, and after another 2 minutes I checked & remove the slices.
Meanwhile I toasted a couple slices of Italian Bread, and coated them with Miracle Whip.
Then I covered one slice of bread with Lettuce, and 3 slices of Spam on top of the Lettuce.
I laid 4 slices of Garden Fresh Tomatoes on top, and closed my Sammy with the 2nd slice of Toast.

The 2nd night, I did the same thing, but I made 4 slices of Spam, so Mrs Bear could have 2 for her Sammy.
This time I had a Bigger Tomato, so it only took 2 slices to cover 2 slices of Spam.
I also added some “Pickled Cucumber Slices” that Bear Jr & Bethany made, to my plate.

These Sammies were Great, and I will be making them again——Soon!!

Thanks for stopping by,

Bear

Two slices of Toasted Italian Bread:
IMG_7494.jpeg

Miracle Whip (Or Mayo):
IMG_7495.jpeg

Lettuce:
IMG_7496.jpeg

Three slices of Bacon Flavored Spam in Ninja Air Crisper Basket:
IMG_7497.jpeg

Three slices of Spam on top of Lettuce:
IMG_7498.jpeg

Slices of Tomato on top of Spam:
IMG_7499.jpeg

Close up & Chow Down, on Bear's First Supper of SPLT:
IMG_7500.jpeg

Next Night 4 slices of Spam added when Ninja says "ADD FOOD":
IMG_7501.jpeg

Closer Look:
IMG_7502.jpeg

Getting Toast Ready:
IMG_7503.jpeg

Spam almost ready:
IMG_7505.jpeg

Lettuce & Spam added:
IMG_7506.jpeg

Topped with Tomato slices:
IMG_7507.jpeg

Close it up & add Pickled Cucumber Slices for Bear's second Night's Supper:
IMG_7508.jpeg

never had or heard of the splt bear, but does look good. now that we're getting our own tomato's might have to give it a try.

Been about sixty years since I had spam at summer camp, so long ago I can't remember if I liked it or not Bear. Think I'd toss a little cheese on one, shake things up! RAY

Good use of the ninja . Been many years since I had spam also .
Bet that's a good sandwich .

Been about sixty years since I had spam at summer camp, so long ago I can't remember if I liked it or not Bear. Think I'd toss a little cheese on one, shake things up! RAY
Looks tasty John. Haven't had spam in alot of years but all of the sudden I NEED some lol. Like sawhorseray sawhorseray said.......throw a piece of cheese on mine please!

Thank You Ray & Jake!!
I'll make a Spam & Cheese next time, but I put cheese in a BLT once, and there's no way I would put cheese in a SPLT or a BLT again.
And Thanks for the Like, Ray.

Bear

Well Bear, you went and did it again :emoji_wink: As with others here, I haven't had Spam in a long time but you got me thinking laterally. You posted about the Taylor pork roll a while back and I tried to find them but couldn't. A very generous forum member saw my reply to your thread and has been on the lookout for them unbeknownst to me. All of a sudden a couple weeks ago 3 rolls of it miraculously showed up on my porch. The stuff is really good!! I'm kinda thinking about doing these sammies with the pork roll versus Spam. Hmmmm...sounds viable to me. Thanks for the idea sir!!

Robert

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Nice been a while since I've had any spam. But use Bear style Canadian bacon all the time for blt's.

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

never had or heard of the splt bear, but does look good. now that we're getting our own tomato's might have to give it a try.

Thank You Jim!!
Yup---Fresh Tomatoes really put them over the Top!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks Great John,

Point for sure
Chris

The sandwiches look good. Never tried any of the Flavored Spam varieties. Other than lower sodium, does the Bacon Flavor taste like Bacon or just extra Smokey Spam?
Either way, worth a shot.

We mostly eat Spam as a Breakfast Meat. I cant explain it but, Pure Maple Syrup does something Magical to fried slices of Original Spam! My Wife and Daughter said the same. The two together enhanced the flavor of Both...JJ

Very nice Bear! I have spam once in awhile. But haven't had the flavored stuff either. Just regular or low sodium. The only cheese that I found that works with spam is a good ol slice of American cheese.
My father used to grill it and give it a shot of bbq sauce right before serving. Then put on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and onions.

Nice splt Bear! Never had a sandwich like that but it’s sure something I would enjoy. I haven’t had spam in years, but I have to try the low sodium version.

Like!

Great sandwiches John. I too haven't had Spam in years, and never tried the flavored. Gotta check how much this is on our diets. If allowed. I'll be trying this soon. I can't have Pork Roll on it, so I'm fearful Spam is also a no no, lol. Great meals again and the color on those pickles look excellent.

Very nice Bear! I have spam once in awhile. But haven't had the flavored stuff either. Just regular or low sodium. The only cheese that I found that works with spam is a good ol slice of American cheese.
My father used to grill it and give it a shot of bbq sauce right before serving. Then put on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and onions.

Thank You Steve!!
The Bacon flavored has much better flavor than the Low Sodium, and less Sodium than the Low Sodium, so there's really no reason to buy the Low Sodium Spam. I'm sure I would love Fried onions with Spam, but we never Stock any onion. That would have to be a premeditated Spam meal.

Bear

The sandwiches look good. Never tried any of the Flavored Spam varieties. Other than lower sodium, does the Bacon Flavor taste like Bacon or just extra Smokey Spam?
Either way, worth a shot.

We mostly eat Spam as a Breakfast Meat. I cant explain it but, Pure Maple Syrup does something Magical to fried slices of Original Spam! My Wife and Daughter said the same. The two together enhanced the flavor of Both...JJ

Thank You Jimmy!!
According to some charts the Bacon Spam has 520 mg of Sodium, and the Low Sodium has 580 mg of Sodium, but I think the cans both show the same amount. But none of them show less Sodium in the "Low Sodium" Spam. Some of the others have over 700 mg Sodium.
I've had most of the Spam flavors, and the only one I didn't care for was the "Low Sodium". I still liked it, but not as much as the other I have tried.

I know a lot of people like Sweet Syrup on Scrapple too, but none of us here care for any kind of Sweet on Fried meats, like Scrapple & Spam. If the scrapple is not too great tasting, I have been known to add some ketchup, but that's about it.

Bear

Hey Bear, SPLT sounds delicious.
Though the sodium level maybe still too high for myself these days.

Thank You SHS !!
Yeah the Sodium is a little high, but I try to keep my portions down, and a can of soup is a lot higher, so I skip the soup & eat the Spam now & then.
And Thank You for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Thank You SHS !!
Yeah the Sodium is a little high, but I try to keep my portions down, and a can of soup is a lot higher, so I skip the soup & eat the Spam now & then.
And Thank You for the Like.

Bear

You're welcome Bear.
Yep, portion limits is good way keep the sodium in check.
I hear you about canned soup too.
My wife won't even buy canned veggies including the low sodium ones anymore.
She buys fresh or frozen instead. No more salty snacks either.
But, if I behave myself, she'll buy me a jar of Planter's Dry Roasted Peanuts.

Stu

Reactions: Bearcarver
Good use of the ninja . Been many years since I had spam also .
Bet that's a good sandwich .

Thank You Rich!!
We're having BLTs tonight, because we got some beautiful Maters from Half-Smoked, and it was hard to decide on "Spam or Bacon", but Mrs Bear started thawing some Bacon out, so Bacon it is!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Well Bear, you went and did it again :emoji_wink: As with others here, I haven't had Spam in a long time but you got me thinking laterally. You posted about the Taylor pork roll a while back and I tried to find them but couldn't. A very generous forum member saw my reply to your thread and has been on the lookout for them unbeknownst to me. All of a sudden a couple weeks ago 3 rolls of it miraculously showed up on my porch. The stuff is really good!! I'm kinda thinking about doing these sammies with the pork roll versus Spam. Hmmmm...sounds viable to me. Thanks for the idea sir!!

Robert

Thank You Robert!!
I'm sure a PRLT would be good too, but I think the SPLT is much closer to a BLT, because of the similarity in flavor & texture the Spam is compared to Bacon. Bacon. Let us know!!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky