Split wood ID

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ADAM SMITH

Original poster
Feb 6, 2019
Alright y'all, as I asked in my introduction for some help identifying split wood I had on hand. I'm in East Tennessee. The wood with the reddish core I think might be hickory but the light colored wood I'm not sure. Thought it might be elm but I no longer think so, maple maybe? Anyways tried to include as many pics with possible identification as possible, bark, ect. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190207_173633.jpg
    20190207_173633.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190207_172803.jpg
    20190207_172803.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190207_172753.jpg
    20190207_172753.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190207_172637.jpg
    20190207_172637.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20190207_172625.jpg
    20190207_172625.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190207_172553.jpg
    20190207_172553.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20190207_172527.jpg
    20190207_172527.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190207_172524.jpg
    20190207_172524.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 84
Just going by your pics, the first does look like hickory. But I'd be hard pressed to say which species.
The other does look like maple but could be a red maple.
My eyes aren't the greatest anymore, so that is why I suggested burning some splinters and then you'll know for sure.

Reactions: ADAM SMITH
Just going by your pics, the first does look like hickory. But I'd be hard pressed to say which species.
The other does look like maple but could be a red maple.
My eyes aren't the greatest anymore, so that is why I suggested burning some splinters and then you'll know for sure.

So does that mean that red maple is undesirable or just not typical? I guess the same for hickory? Does it matter what kind? I mean as long as I don't get bad flavor, I'm just getting started so I'm just looking to learn as of now.

So does that mean that red maple is undesirable or just not typical? I guess the same for hickory? Does it matter what kind? I mean as long as I don't get bad flavor, I'm just getting started so I'm just looking to learn as of now.
From the research that I’ve done, all maple is good to smoke with. It a soft wood and will give a lighter smoke. I have a silver maple in my yard that I trimmed last spring and plan on using that this summer in my smoker. You just have to make sure is it is dry. Hickory is great to use in the smoker. It is a hard wood and will give a pungent smoke.
Hope this helps.
Also, for the future, if the tree you got this wood from is still standing, a picture of it’s blossoms or leaves would definitely help in identifying the tree type!

Where are you at in East Tennessee?

I love in E TN also and might be able to help. Where did you get the wood? Looks a lot like red oak to me but could also be hickory maple etc...

I won't second guess what wood you have Adam.
I want to see much more. I want to see the tree (s) it is coming from, the leaves on the trees, etc.

This is what Hickory looks like to me.
754087531659.jpg

If it isn't, I know who to go throw it at... :emoji_wink:

From the research that I’ve done, all maple is good to smoke with. It a soft wood and will give a lighter smoke. I have a silver maple in my yard that I trimmed last spring and plan on using that this summer in my smoker. You just have to make sure is it is dry. Hickory is great to use in the smoker. It is a hard wood and will give a pungent smoke.
Hope this helps.
Also, for the future, if the tree you got this wood from is still standing, a picture of it’s blossoms or leaves would definitely help in identifying the tree type!

Where are you at in East Tennessee?

I love in E TN also and might be able to help. Where did you get the wood? Looks a lot like red oak to me but could also be hickory maple etc...

Fellas I don't know where the wood came from, a couple of years back my wife got paranoid of a cold winter and we bought a load and had it delivered, that's where this came from. I'm pretty decent at identifying trees still standing, especially with leaves still on, haha.

Volfan I'm from Knox Vegas baby!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I'd advise against using it for smoking foods. Some of the pieces have fungus on the bark and the fifth picture of the soft maple(?) split held sideways shows the dark streaks of "spalting" from fungus stains. That wood had gone too far down the road to decay to be any good for smoking.

If you see maple with the leaves still on it look at the "valleys" (sinuses, really" between the lobes of the leaves. Hard (Sugar) maple has rounded sinuses and soft (Red or Bigleaf) maple has V shaped sinuses. Personally I prefer hard maple for smoking.

You can use red maple for smoking too.
As for the hickory, it won't matter what species.
It's all good.

Fellas I don't know where the wood came from, a couple of years back my wife got paranoid of a cold winter and we bought a load and had it delivered, that's where this came from. I'm pretty decent at identifying trees still standing, especially with leaves still on, haha.

Volfan I'm from Knox Vegas baby!

Knox Vegas! There’s a few on here from our area. How bought that basketball team man

It's so hard to tell by pictures . I see some that looks like hickory to me , the light stuff I wouldn't cook with , but I also see some of the pics that look like they could be wild cherry .

What kind of leaves are on the ground near the wood? And what kind of trees are around it? All same kind?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky