The Woodpile...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I have been accumulating a variety of woods to smoke with. I had made one rack to store some on and quickly filled it up so I bought a couple of sets of these to make a couple more racks...
1683055903929.png

Filled them up, as well. I still had a fair amount of wood on my utility trailer so I built a 4th rack just like my first one only using cinder blocks and treated 2x4s. I was able to move all the wood off of my trailer and now it's all mostly organized and seasoned. I just need to find some tin to put on top...
Woodpile.jpg

The wood in the blue boxes is oak, mostly white oak with some red mixed in. The red box has wild cherry, or black cherry. The yellow box is maple. Purple box is plum. The brown box is hickory. The metal rack at the far right has dogwood which I think will end up in the firepit. The oak in this picture is only about half of what I've got, the rest is under a shed at our daughter's house, so I'm not smoking-wood poor, but always looking for something else such as pecan, apple, pear, etc., whatever is available locally.

That's Lucy in the middle looking for rats or squirrels, Teddy on the left helping, and Bailey on the right just checking on things. They've cleared a big tract of land not too far from me and I have really had a rat problem lately, at least that's what I'm blaming it on. Others nearby are also noticing them. I've killed 10 in traps the last 3 days alone and I'm talking about rats, not mice. Fortunately I haven't noticed where they might be getting in the house or garage, but I've got a couple of traps set just in case. The latest part of this project started this past week when Lucy and Teddy pulled almost all of the wood off one of the racks, the maple in the yellow box, because there was a rat's nest underneath and she knew it. Needless to say life isn't good for the rats anymore...:emoji_wink:

Back to the metal brackets, they're just OK and I won't waste my money on them again...

I have been accumulating a variety of woods to smoke with. I had made one rack to store some on and quickly filled it up so I bought a couple of sets of these to make a couple more racks...
View attachment 664543
Filled them up, as well. I still had a fair amount of wood on my utility trailer so I built a 4th rack just like my first one only using cinder blocks and treated 2x4s. I was able to move all the wood off of my trailer and now it's all mostly organized and seasoned. I just need to find some tin to put on top...
View attachment 664544
The wood in the blue boxes is oak, mostly white oak with some red mixed in. The red box has wild cherry, or black cherry. The yellow box is maple. Purple box is plum. The brown box is hickory. The metal rack at the far right has dogwood which I think will end up in the firepit. The oak in this picture is only about half of what I've got, the rest is under a shed at our daughter's house, so I'm not smoking-wood poor, but always looking for something else such as pecan, apple, pear, etc., whatever is available locally.

That's Lucy in the middle looking for rats or squirrels, Teddy on the left helping, and Bailey on the right just checking on things. They've cleared a big tract of land not too far from me and I have really had a rat problem lately, at least that's what I'm blaming it on. Others nearby are also noticing them. I've killed 10 in traps the last 3 days alone and I'm talking about rats, not mice. Fortunately I haven't noticed where they might be getting in the house or garage, but I've got a couple of traps set just in case. The latest part of this project started this past week when Lucy and Teddy pulled almost all of the wood off one of the racks, the maple in the yellow box, because there was a rat's nest underneath and she knew it. Needless to say life isn't good for the rats anymore...:emoji_wink:

Back to the metal brackets, they're just OK and I won't waste my money on them again...
Nice pile. I get what you mean about the brackets. I stopped using them. Have several unopened boxes of them.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Hell all I use to e brackets for now is to weigh tarps down over wheel barrows and such when rain expected

View attachment 664543
View attachment 664544

Nice stack of wood there!...... If you happen to see a guy out by the stack late in the evening.....don't worry about it I'm just organizing it for you to make room for more....LOL

I have a couple of those brackets somewhere around here. I might actually try using them this year lol. I should have planet of time to organize wood starting in July.

I need to get some of those. I collect wood like you. I have oak, almond, apple, pear, cherry, plum and I few odds and ends of avocado, citrus, maple and madrone. Waiting for some pistachio and olive trees to be cut.

Looks like you might be able to smoke a rib or two!

Love your varmint getters!

Ryan
Lucy, the dog in my avatar and the one in the middle of the pic, is "MY DOG". She is something else for sure and has all 4 feet firmly planted on my heart, but she can be a pest when she wants to play fetch. Bailey is our oldest dog at 10+ years, but he gets around well and we love him to death. Teddy, the BIG dog in the pic, is our nephew's dog, we were dog-sitting him last week. He's a Sheepadoodle and stands not quite 3' tall at the shoulder, but just a big baby...

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky