1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Split wood ID

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by ADAM SMITH, Feb 7, 2019.

1. **DISCLAIMER** I ain't no expert:

But..., the lighter colored wood is maple, and it is spalted. This is a very desirable trait for guitars since it stains well and makes a gorgeous finish. Hence the reason I recognize it easily. Can't attest to the darker wood, but looks like hickory to me. Hickory ain't used for guitars so I don't know much about it other than I like it in my smoker.

Safe to use for BBQ? I will leave that to more knowledgable folks than me. Who knows about your specific load of spalted maple. Spalting looks different in different woods so if you run a stick burner you're bound to have thrown a spalted split or two in the firebox. But again, I will defer.

As for the funky stuff on the bark, I'd hatchet that bark off before using the piece. I typically remove the bark for my splits before I toss them in the firebox unless a particular split is stubborn.

ADAM SMITH likes this.
  2. ADAM SMITH

ADAM SMITH Newbie

I like your thinking...

3. ADAM SMITH

ADAM SMITH Newbie

Well it looks like I'm stuck with the good I got for my 1st run. Cut it down to fit in the smoker. About 99% sure it's hickory, I'm fairly certain it's either hickory, cherry or red oak and I don't think any of those are bad for smoking so we're going to give her a shot. Cut all the bad parts out.... Let's see what happens. .

4. The "funky" stuff on the bark is lichen. Perfectly normal.

ADAM SMITH likes this.
  5. https://ag.tennessee.edu/fwf/Pages/default.aspx

Go visit these people, take a tray of smoked goodies and samples of your wood. I’m assuming Knox Vegas is really Knoxville?

ADAM SMITH likes this.
  6. ADAM SMITH

ADAM SMITH Newbie

7. We have a place in Northern Alberta that’s called Fox Vegas

ADAM SMITH likes this.