Split wood ID

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
**DISCLAIMER** I ain't no expert:

But..., the lighter colored wood is maple, and it is spalted. This is a very desirable trait for guitars since it stains well and makes a gorgeous finish. Hence the reason I recognize it easily. Can't attest to the darker wood, but looks like hickory to me. Hickory ain't used for guitars so I don't know much about it other than I like it in my smoker.

Safe to use for BBQ? I will leave that to more knowledgable folks than me. Who knows about your specific load of spalted maple. Spalting looks different in different woods so if you run a stick burner you're bound to have thrown a spalted split or two in the firebox. But again, I will defer.

As for the funky stuff on the bark, I'd hatchet that bark off before using the piece. I typically remove the bark for my splits before I toss them in the firebox unless a particular split is stubborn.

Reactions: ADAM SMITH
**DISCLAIMER** I ain't no expert:

But..., the lighter colored wood is maple, and it is spalted. This is a very desirable trait for guitars since it stains well and makes a gorgeous finish. Hence the reason I recognize it easily. Can't attest to the darker wood, but looks like hickory to me. Hickory ain't used for guitars so I don't know much about it other than I like it in my smoker.

Safe to use for BBQ? I will leave that to more knowledgable folks than me. Who knows about your specific load of spalted maple. Spalting looks different in different woods so if you run a stick burner you're bound to have thrown a spalted split or two in the firebox. But again, I will defer.

As for the funky stuff on the bark, I'd hatchet that bark off before using the piece. I typically remove the bark for my splits before I toss them in the firebox unless a particular split is stubborn.

I like your thinking...

Well it looks like I'm stuck with the good I got for my 1st run. Cut it down to fit in the smoker. About 99% sure it's hickory, I'm fairly certain it's either hickory, cherry or red oak and I don't think any of those are bad for smoking so we're going to give her a shot. Cut all the bad parts out.... Let's see what happens. .

Alright y'all, as I asked in my introduction for some help identifying split wood I had on hand. I'm in East Tennessee. The wood with the reddish core I think might be hickory but the light colored wood I'm not sure. Thought it might be elm but I no longer think so, maple maybe? Anyways tried to include as many pics with possible identification as possible, bark, ect. Thanks!

https://ag.tennessee.edu/fwf/Pages/default.aspx

Go visit these people, take a tray of smoked goodies and samples of your wood. I’m assuming Knox Vegas is really Knoxville?

Reactions: ADAM SMITH
From the research that I’ve done, all maple is good to smoke with.
Sorry to answer late. New to forum and way too many categories of threads to read on a regular basis.

There is one group of maple that is not desirable for smoking, box elder. I don't like the flavor.
I prefer the maples that the Yellow Bellied Sap Suckers prefer. They won't touch box elder.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Sorry to answer late. New to forum and way too many categories of threads to read on a regular basis.

There is one group of maple that is not desirable for smoking, box elder. I don't like the flavor.
I prefer the maples that the Yellow Bellied Sap Suckers prefer. They won't touch box elder.
Thank you for that reply. I wasn’t thinking about subspecies of the maple.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky