Spare Ribs & a Tip Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
This morning seemed like a fine day to fire up my SQ36 offset and get some smoking done. I had a big rack of pork spares that I slathered with mustard and coated with chilerelleno chilerelleno 's Basic Hog Rub yesterday in the fridge ready to go. I got to Sam's Club bright and early this morning and picked out a nice 4.3 pound sirloin tip roast and a few jugs of Evan. When I got home I fired up some hickory splits with the weed torch and gave the tip roast a little Worsty sauce love and hit it with some CBP and sea salt. Things were looking rock solid in the 270º range, so the meat hit the grill.
DSCN2269.JPG

DSCN2270.JPG

Three hours later the tip roast was ready to pull as my TP-20 said it was 127º
DSCN2271.JPG

Appears the TP-20 is pretty darned accurate!
DSCN2272.JPG

I'll let the roast sit on the counter for a few hours before it spends the night in the fridge, tomorrow I'll bust out the meat slicer and run the whole thing thru super thin for sannys and French dips. The hickory splits I got from Cabelas a few months back have dried to perfection during the Arizona summer, I'm running really smooth at 275º with invisible smoke, the spares are at 175º right now. I'm not wrapper, I'll do a little spritzing and maybe start probing at about 195º. Life is good, time for another beer!

All Looking Good, Ray!! Be Back! Like. Bear

Thanks Bear, I appear to be stalled at 175º for awhile, thinking about a dip in the pool before switching over to some bourbon whisky. Thank you for the Like John, I do appreciate it! RAY

Looks great! Jim

Thanks Jim, I figure I'm rock solid and home free on the beef already, now the temp on the spares has just started to climb a touch. Thank you for the Like Jim, it's much appreciated! RAY

Looks good so far.

Thanks Brett, things are looking better by the minute!

Looking good Ray! You’ll have some fine eating for days!

Thanks Jeff, still waffling on sides, but there's time. Thanks for the Like Jeff, I do appreciate it! RAY

Nice Ray! I think I could be there tomorrow for some French dip sammy's!

Come on down Joe, tomorrow menu is a French dip and fries! RAY

Thanks Jim, it's all tick-tock and watching like a hawk right now! I pumped the fire a bit, getting close. Thanks for the Like Jim, much appreciated! RAY

Well the final tally is in and dinner appears to have been a complete success, What that usually means to me is a good bite without much pull, and certainly no FOTB, which I consider total failure. I did do a little SBR baste that I let glaze, I was happy with the spicy snap
DSCN2274.JPG

I plated up with some of the new-fangled rice and veggie combos from Yo-ho-ho. What's not to like, you get a balanced meal without having to waste a bunch of time on stuff that isn't all that good for you anyway, it's a win win!
DSCN2275.JPG

Now there will be leftover pork ribs and French dip sannys to be had, along with the little boneless leg-o-lamb I copped at Sam's today. Don't take life too seriously, it doesn't last forever. RAY

Those are some mighty fine looking spares Ray! Love the color! Al

Thanks Al, they came out exactly as I was hoping, juicy with a perfect bite. After I get my offset cleaned and covered back up I'll get the slicer set up to tackle that sirloin tip roast, thinking about a nice French dip sanny for dinner. Thanks you for the Like Al, I do appreciate it! RAY

Those ribs look like they came out very nice. Haven't had a Rolling Rock in ages.

RR's are the house barley pop around here Brett! Just had one to chase down a micro zapped spare rib for breakfast, takes the edge off. RAY

mmmmm....Ribs! Jim

I hear you Jim, get them just right and there's not much better to be stuffing into your face! Thanks for the Like Jim, I do appreciate it! RAY

Well I just got done slicing that sirloin tip roast so thin the pieces only had one side. My wife Jan, who never eats beef, kept trying to tell me it was burnt, she knew just by looking at it.
DSCN2278.JPG

I tried to explain that this was good old American hickory smoke flavor at it's finest. Once I got to slicing and she could saw the error of her ways she actually took a slice to taste.
DSCN2281.JPG

I ended up with a nice load to vac-seal for sannys, a little snack for Bob, and thinking about a big French dip for dinner. Bob loves the slicer as much as I do! This one's a wrap! RAY
DSCN2282.JPG

Reactions: tx smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky