Spare me a beef rib?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rvachewlover

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 26, 2016
Richmond, Va
Kroger had a sale on spare ribs and had some beef ribs discounted. Fired up ol' Stinky and ran her around 250 with an all white oak fire. The beef ribs finished before the spares so they were an appetizer. I foil boated the spares to keep building bark and tenderize them. They were a little over done IMO - a bit too fall of the bone, but delicious nonetheless.

This was my second cook on Stinky. Last week I did two whole chickens. I was a little disappointed last week on the amount of smoke flavor the chickens had. I kind of chalked it up to it being my first cook and such a short cook. These ribs were out of this world - you couldn't even tell they were smoked, they were just g.o.o.d. Going from a MES to WSM and now offset, there's definitely a taste difference between the three.

Electric to me gives you a very "pure" smoke flavor. It's more of a seasoning than flavor. The WSM was a huge step up compared to the MES. I love the charcoal and smokey taste. It tastes a little more down-home. You can tell a difference between with a live fire. The offset though, the food doesn't even taste smoked. It just tastes the way it's suppose too. The smoke comes after you finish your bite and take a breath and it dances across your tongue. It's so pure, so good.

Attachments

• IMG_4960.JPG
    IMG_4960.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4963.JPG
    IMG_4963.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4966.JPG
    IMG_4966.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 67978840569__21A101BF-17E1-4D99-8D56-B91E940F453D.JPG
    67978840569__21A101BF-17E1-4D99-8D56-B91E940F453D.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
looks good. the chicken you mentioned, never has a lot of smoke flavor. I do whole chickens for the wife a lot. we pull and vac seal the meat and she uses in casseroles and such. I think the skin keeps it from gaining a lot of smoke. Fire tending is work but enjoyable and stinky looks like a good one.

Kroger had a sale on spare ribs and had some beef ribs discounted. Fired up ol' Stinky and ran her around 250 with an all white oak fire. The beef ribs finished before the spares so they were an appetizer. I foil boated the spares to keep building bark and tenderize them. They were a little over done IMO - a bit too fall of the bone, but delicious nonetheless.

This was my second cook on Stinky. Last week I did two whole chickens. I was a little disappointed last week on the amount of smoke flavor the chickens had. I kind of chalked it up to it being my first cook and such a short cook. These ribs were out of this world - you couldn't even tell they were smoked, they were just g.o.o.d. Going from a MES to WSM and now offset, there's definitely a taste difference between the three.

Electric to me gives you a very "pure" smoke flavor. It's more of a seasoning than flavor. The WSM was a huge step up compared to the MES. I love the charcoal and smokey taste. It tastes a little more down-home. You can tell a difference between with a live fire. The offset though, the food doesn't even taste smoked. It just tastes the way it's suppose too. The smoke comes after you finish your bite and take a breath and it dances across your tongue. It's so pure, so good.
I agree 100% I started with some cheap vertical bullet charcoal smokers. flavor was ok but hard to control on long cooks. Went to a MES30 and loved how easy it was but either the food lacked flavor or it was bitter with too much smoke. Then went to a MB 1080 gravity grill, IMO overpriced for its build quality, but a damn nice smoker. Flavor was best I had yet and super controllable.(Still have it as my back up im busy smoker.) Then this offset. Smoke flavor is not heavy, but perfect. Dont know how else to describe it.

I also wrap with smoked wagu tallow and that seems to add a little front bit smokeyness but so far I love it.

And those ribs look fantastic!!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky