Souvlaki? Smashburgers? Fusion time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Greek classic meets the Blackstone griddle. Several of you have done souvlaki lately and it got me thinking about a little spin on it. Chicken Souvlaki smash-burgers seemed like the thing to do! I wanted to throw some pickled red onions on it so first uo were some quick pickles red onions.
  • 1 large red onion, peeled , halved and sliced
  • 3/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon and 5 T Swerve. Bring the brine to a boil and cover onions in Mason jar. I also threw in a sprig of oregano.
    793FB935-7AC1-4C78-9B05-67C6C8A6F031.jpeg
    7B9A1F89-4BA0-4F3E-A86B-9B8856113657.jpeg
    Once those were done it was time to prep some herbs for burgers and also the Tzatsiki. Finely chopped fresh dill, mint, oregano, parsley and shallots. Peeled some English cucumber.
    FD2FEA6A-7119-4D53-854C-B4DDB7AA6E4D.jpeg
    Tzatsiki time. Used 1 cup 2 Good low carb yogurt, English cucumber shredded and pressed out to remove liquid, 1T each of dill, mint and parsley, 1 clove minced garlic, zest and juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper to taste.Heresy lol but I also added a touch of swerve as the lemon was huge and it was too sour for my taste.
    E586E522-4D98-4979-BFD9-1E0091352CDC.jpeg
    05EE8D6D-4871-4238-99DD-9769EE1752EB.jpeg
    While I was on sauces I made an olive tapenade aioli.Winged this one. Small container of tapenade from Kroger, some capers and Mayo
    9BC99E00-D3B8-48F9-BF8E-0614DCA8F7FB.jpeg
    Time to mix up the meat now. 3 lbs ground chicken, 4 T each fresh dill and parsley, 2 T each mint and oregano. 4 minced shallots, 2t each salt and pepper. I let this sit in the frig for about an hour then off to the griddle. Phone dying so charging it up while outside. Here they are finished.
    9D03C905-EEE0-4B1C-A810-3F92915B583E.jpeg
    Gotta have some grilled mini sweet peppers with this.I’ve been making a couple bags of these weekly to put on lots of things.
    2473BD2C-92DB-4919-8A17-F0504ED7D9DA.jpeg
    Chaffles were next. Recipe I used sucked so not sharing it as I adjusted on the fly. Ended up tasty though. Feta spinach chaffles with a little Cavendars seasoning.
    5A39FB6B-CC8D-4D80-BDC9-D78BBB6CB0F4.jpeg
    290C9ADF-E2A7-4B11-94DF-BE279BC74B2B.jpeg
    Last thing to do was the Haloumi cheese “fries”. Saved these for last as they are amazing when fresh. Haloumi is a firm cheese that can be fried or grilled. I deep fried this in a pan of olive oil with the oil at about 370F 3-5 minutes per batch and drained on paper towels
    DDB58819-4A1D-4672-8C43-E57ADA2CCC71.jpeg
    Well that was a long trip to the finish lol. Here it is plated you. Double chicken souvlaki smashburger on the spinach feta chaffle with fresh spinach , roasted peppers, pickled red onion and a dab of Tzatsiki and a side of Haloumi “fries” with the olive tapenade aioli for dipping.
    582F2F0E-DFD9-4F90-A041-E4367313C3B6.jpeg
    Well that’s a wrap! I really enjoyed this and will do it again for sure. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Dang Jeff! looks absolutely delicious! Lots of love went into this one...and I'm a huge fan of fusion type meals! That cheese is some good stuff ....Ive grilled it a few times now. Never thought about frying it like that.I may have to try that out!
You got my fusion wheels turning tonight lol!! I may have to get off the couch and go in the kitchen!! 😂🤣

Reactions: jcam222
Dang Jeff! looks absolutely delicious! Lots of love went into this one...and I'm a huge fan of fusion type meals! That cheese is some good stuff ....Ive grilled it a few times now. Never thought about frying it like that.I may have to try that out!
You got my fusion wheels turning tonight lol!! I may have to get off the couch and go in the kitchen!! 😂🤣
I’ve grilled Haloumi quite a few times. Today I put about a half inch of oil in cast iron, heated to 370F and deep fried it. Off the hook!

Reactions: Sowsage
Wow Jeff! That’s an incredible “smash” It looks incredible! Awesome job taking an inspiration snd turning it into something creative and special. Looks like a lot of effort that paid off in a beautiful plate! Big points for sure!

That’s a pretty tasty take on Souvlaki. I’ve grilled that cheese a few times with skewers and it’s pretty filling. That plate must have put you down for the count!

looks great Jeff, Lots of good mixed flavors.
Now the cheese , I will have to look into that for sure
Great finished plate also

David

PS: and the waffle for a bun, much better than my donut bun worked out. lol

Looks great Jeff as always! Never heard of that cheese before will have to look into it. I have never added swerve to my pickled red onions, what does it do to the taste?

Looks great Jeff as always! Never heard of that cheese before will have to look into it. I have never added swerve to my pickled red onions, what does it do to the taste?
More of a sweet tangy taste. We love them

Reactions: clifish
HOLY COW!! Just when I think you can't get any better you go and do something like this. What an amazing meal my friend. The creativity is off the charts but the preparation and presentation are from another galaxy. I honestly can't say that I've seen anything that looks like a better meal. A true masterpiece.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky