Sous vide smoked tongue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
First time sous vide tongue for me.

Found a wide range of temps and times. I thought it's an overkill but i went with 48h at 145.

Skin came right off. Easiest peel ever.

Lent going on so I couldnt taste it.

While tying some butcher twine to hang in the smoker the twine sliced right thru. I guess that answers my wondering: is it tender?
20190427_101713-1.jpg

They are drying now for smoking.

I'm gonna try that SV tongue.... I think I'll use the stretch netting to hang it..
Do you have any special spice and herbs you use ????
I LOVE tongue sandwiches or sliced thin and dipped in hot mustard with toasted sesame seeds..

Reactions: crazymoon
Sounds good. I was put off by tongue for the longest time, more concept than flavor. Now that I've come to enjoy them, I can't find them. Small town folks, round here, have such limited palates. Anything I ask the Butcher for, I have to take by the Case as he can't sell the rest...JJ

Sounds good. I was put off by tongue for the longest time, more concept than flavor. Now that I've come to enjoy them, I can't find them. Small town folks, round here, have such limited palates. Anything I ask the Butcher for, I have to take by the Case as he can't sell the rest...JJ
These are small tongues....had them in the freezer. If i like the result i will buy a couple of large tongues to make a.good stock of cold cuts.

Oh Yeah!!
I thought about Tongue SV, but never did it.
Gotta be Tender & Tasty!!
Like.

Bear

When you guys smoke the tongue after having sous viderized it, for how long and at what temperature do you smoke it?

As strange as tongue seems, I can imagine it having a nice flavor and interesting texture. I may have to try some, but I don't think I can talk my wife into trying it!

The local Sam's Club sometimes has what seem like huge ones. It's intriguing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky