Sous Vide Brisket recipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jim O

Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
I'm really getting into the Sous Vide (Immersion) cooking. It's precision cooking and maintains a perfect temperature while cooking. You can even do it in a cooler.
Does anyone have a recipe for Sous Vide first and smoking in a Masterbuilt electric smoker to finish? Times/Temps?

I’ve always smoked first for a few hours and then let cool and vacuseal into the sv.

Lots of talk about sv in these forums. Search sous vide brisket and your bound to find something.

Scott

I have done it several times & I smoke it to an IT of 150, then vac bag it & into the SV set at 155 for 24 hours.
Comes out perfect everytime!
Al

This has worked for me:

1.Salt it the night before (you can add rub, liquid smoke, ~1/8 teaspoon of Prague Powder #1 if you want a fake smoke ring)
2. Vacuum seal (or water immersion seal in good Ziploc bags) and refrigerate. I use two 2 gallon Ziploc bought on AMZ, one for the meat and then I put the weights in the outer bag.
3. Next day, put in the sous vide for 48 hrs at 152F.
4. Cool it off in an ice bath for ~1hr and refrigerate until the day you want to smoke (I have waited from 1-5 days)
5. Prior to putting in the MES, cover it with your rub (I used a sugar based one, I know that won't fly in TX but we're cheating here anyway so do what you want).
6. Two to three hours in the MES at 300F should give you a semblance of a real bark (I burn wood in my rig). Monitor the internal temp and don't get it up too high but at least 145F. If need be due to timing, pull it and quickly throw it on a hot grill to bark it some more. Having the brisket cool prior to smoking it helps develop the bark without over cooking the meat.

Good luck, hope this helps!

This has worked for me:

1.Salt it the night before (you can add rub, liquid smoke, ~1/8 teaspoon of Prague Powder #1 if you want a fake smoke ring)
2. Vacuum seal (or water immersion seal in good Ziploc bags) and refrigerate. I use two 2 gallon Ziploc bought on AMZ, one for the meat and then I put the weights in the outer bag.
3. Next day, put in the sous vide for 48 hrs at 152F.
4. Cool it off in an ice bath for ~1hr and refrigerate until the day you want to smoke (I have waited from 1-5 days)
5. Prior to putting in the MES, cover it with your rub (I used a sugar based one, I know that won't fly in TX but we're cheating here anyway so do what you want).
6. Two to three hours in the MES at 300F should give you a semblance of a real bark (I burn wood in my rig). Monitor the internal temp and don't get it up too high but at least 145F. If need be due to timing, pull it and quickly throw it on a hot grill to bark it some more. Having the brisket cool prior to smoking it helps develop the bark without over cooking the meat.

Good luck, hope this helps!

I like all the responses here. Thanks for your insights. Now get smoking!

I’ve always smoked first for a few hours and then let cool and vacuseal into the sv.

Lots of talk about sv in these forums. Search sous vide brisket and your bound to find something.

Scott
I was thinking of "brining" the brisket before puting into the sous vide. do you have any experience with this? I'm looking for anyone with any experience in brining "before" sous vide.

I would season the heck out of it... In the sous-vide, the meat will make lots of juice... It will pick up the spices and herbs for flavoring...
If you want to add something, I've experimented with injections and found, for my taste, salt free vegetable stock when injected, gives a very unique and awesome flavor to turkeys and hams.... Haven't tried on beef yet.. but that's gonna happen today... I've got an Angus bottom round that's getting all of the above....

I have done it several times & I smoke it to an IT of 150, then vac bag it & into the SV set at 155 for 24 hours.
Comes out perfect everytime!
Al
Hi Al. Always enjoy your expertise in this. What is your take on this idea: I'm thinking of "wet" brining the brisket for about 3-4 days before I use the sous vide.

I would season the heck out of it... In the sous-vide, the meat will make lots of juice... It will pick up the spices and herbs for flavoring...
If you want to add something, I've experimented with injections and found, for my taste, salt free vegetable stock when injected, gives a very unique and awesome flavor to turkeys and hams.... Haven't tried on beef yet.. but that's gonna happen today... I've got an Angus bottom round that's getting all of the above....

That sounds like a good plan. Like I asked SmokinAl, What is your take on "Wet" brining the brisket first?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky