Sous vide and smoked turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Binford 6100

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
So for thanks giving this year I am going to stray away from the deep frier and I want to due a combo of sous vide and smoking.
I have never done this so I thought I would ask for some opinions. I will brine the bird, then I was thinking sous vide to about 150 and then finish on the smoker to 160ish and let rest .

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I dont think you will be happy with the results. Going from 150 to 160 in the smoker most likely will be a very short time period. Not enough time for any smoke to get to the bird and I'm afraid the skin will be completely inedible.

Ok i can adjust the temp. Say 140 then smoke it to 160/165.

I want some smoke in the bird, but I don't care if the skin is edible or not.

I was going to use SmokinAl method posted in this thread, num #17, for a turkey breast. I now doing a whole turkey so just going to smoke.

If your not worried about the skin you could cold smoke a couple of boneless skinless breasts and then finish off in the sois vide

Already have a turkey.
If nothing else i can always scrap the smoking.
But I think a 10 or 15 degree "smoke" would take long enough to get some good smoke in the bird

Curious what you ended up doing?
I'm going to try to brine and sous vide a whole turkey this year, then rub and smoke to finish.

I put it in the sous vide overnight for a low temp. I think it was 130 or 140. I don't quite remember. Then smoked it off. I think I put it in another thread. Let me see if I can find it.

20201125_165702.jpg
20201126_121828.jpg

Here it is.

It turned out great. I had several family members say it was the best turkey they ever had...

Screenshot_20211117-133907_Chrome.jpg
This the brine recipe I used.
They recommend Sous Vide at 133F for 4.5 hrs, then oven bake.
I spatchcocked, then halved and took out the breastbone, this way I can fit them in my Sous Vide cooler
I plan to use this rub, which we love on wings, after a light beef tallow coat, then smoke at 350F until 150F internal temp.
20211122_120729.jpg

I'll post the results ;-)

I ended up cutting the turkey in 1/2 after the brine was complete.
My stepdaughter tested positive so dinner was canceled leaving us with a 21lb bird lol....
So, spatchcocked, then split and the breastbone also removed.
Each 1/2 in its own bag, vacuum sealed with no other spices or liquids, sous vide for 6 hrs at 133F. (This effectively pasteurized the bird)
Cooled in the fridge overnight. One 1/2 frozen still on the sous vide bag.
The other 1/2 rubbed dry and lightly coated with melted beef tallow, then sprinkled with the rub. Topped with a second coat of melted tallow.
Smoked in my Mastercraft propane smoker on the middle shelf.
Fireboard sensor in the thigh and breast. Pecan and apple wood chips replaced every hour to produce continuous smoke.
Removed when breast hit 145F, thigh was 159F, 4:30 cook time.

Screenshot_20211125-173427_FireBoard.jpg

20211125_172034.jpg

This how it looked out of the smoker.

20211125_172717.jpg

After 2 min on low broil in the oven to crisp up the skin.

20211125_173106.jpg

The breast meat.

20211125_173125.jpg

The thigh. You can see the juices in the cutting board pocket.

This was one of the best turkeys I've had. The SO said it was "the best".
Everything was tender and moist with good flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky