Sour dough starter and simple recipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
My best friends 14 yo daughter has become enamored with making bread. Pretty basic white bread so far. Do any of you have a good starter sourdough recipe to share? Also I wondered if anyone had starter I could buy? Happy to pay for it and postage. Always love it when the young ones get interested in cooking / baking. Like to encourage it.

I just saw a sourdough starter on an online auction earlier this week...never saw that before. But good to see young people getting interested!

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
I have a rescue starter (dried starter stored in the freezer) I can send you. It makes great bread and pie crust. PM me your address. I'll pick up the shipping - no sweat.

this is my reipe
Sourdough 2.0

• 100g Starter
  • 350g water
  • 500g flour
  • 10g salt

• Mix water, starter, and salt. Add flour.
  • Autolyse at room temp about 1 hour
  • Lift and fold 20-25 the first time
  • 3 more lift and fold sessions 30-60 minutes apart
  • Bulk fermentation at room temp @68 degrees this is overnight and into next day @24 hours
  • Lift and fold to make a loose ball
  • Place ball in rice floured banneton
  • Final proof in refer 4-24 hours – longer is better
  • Bake: 425 cover for 25 minutes
  • Remove lid and bake till desired color is achieved.
  • Cool on rack at least one hour

I have a rescue starter (dried starter stored in the freezer) I can send you. It makes great bread and pie crust. PM me your address. I'll pick up the shipping - no sweat.

this is my reipe
Sourdough 2.0

• 100g Starter
  • 350g water
  • 500g flour
  • 10g salt

• Mix water, starter, and salt. Add flour.
  • Autolyse at room temp about 1 hour
  • Lift and fold 20-25 the first time
  • 3 more lift and fold sessions 30-60 minutes apart
  • Bulk fermentation at room temp @68 degrees this is overnight and into next day @24 hours
  • Lift and fold to make a loose ball
  • Place ball in rice floured banneton
  • Final proof in refer 4-24 hours – longer is better
  • Bake: 425 cover for 25 minutes
  • Remove lid and bake till desired color is achieved.
  • Cool on rack at least one hour
Really appreciate it! She will get a kick out of it for sure. Can you send me instructions on how to activate and feed as well? I can Google that I suppose as well.

Reactions: JLeonard
You can get starter from many sources. I have the Oregon trail starter.
But, the foreign starter will usually die out until your local yeast takes up the ferment.
That is my experience. I had better luck just starting from local wheat. Luckily, I can source local wheat flour.

HA

I do discard and feed 2x daily. Guess i should dry some and send out.

My best friends 14 yo daughter has become enamored with making bread. Pretty basic white bread so far. Do any of you have a good starter sourdough recipe to share? Also I wondered if anyone had starter I could buy? Happy to pay for it and postage. Always love it when the young ones get interested in cooking / baking. Like to encourage it.
Google the cleaver carrot for beginner sourdough.

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw
Printed out the directions , and mixed it up on Sunday . Just used AP . Not much yesterday , but it's all festered up today . First feeding in a few .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky