Someone talk me in to buying one.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Whole rump roast on sale here for $2.99... I usually buy them whole, smoke then sous vide and either thick slice and serve with mashed potatoes and chef jimmyj's smokey Au Jus. or thin slice for po-boy sandwiches.

...unless someone has an idea for something different..... any opinions?

Some pit beef with horseradish sauce sounds good to me!

I can't walk by any beef that's priced less than $3/lb. Garlic and herb crust smoked to rare, sliced thin, schmered with creamy horseradish sauce, and served on a home-baked hoagie roll that's been dipped in au jus.

Man, I just got hungry.
Thanks guys. 2 votes for thin sliced sandwiches....

Reactions: LOW_IN_SLO
I’m hanging around for the outcome as I got 60 pounds of inside round roast to cook. It accidentally got in my cart
Here's a pic. of the last one I smoked...
img_20220324_183031-jpg.jpg

smoked 4 hours to 125*F, then sous vide for long time @128*F.....tender like butta!
www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-roast-beef-a-la-bearcarver.314116/

Another vote for rare and sliced thin for sandwiches

At that price I'd be eating good. Sammiches or smashed taters? Either way would suit me.

Open face sammich with a mound of taters and a quart of gravy? I'm in!!

Jim
Thanks for the replies. I might serve it two ways. slice the large section for sandwiches, and do something else with the smaller portion.

any opinions?
I do a lot of beef knuckle broke down into sirloin roast . Comes from the same primal as the rump roast . I'll smoke or spin a 3 to 4 pound roast and get 2 maybe 3 different meals from it .
Knife and fork
1683727986171.jpeg
Deli sandwich
1683727922398.jpeg
Then if there's enough left it makes great stir fry /
1683727865308.jpeg
If you haven't had that " Webber Sandwich " that Bear used to post , go dig it out of his steps . It's a great sandwich .

Any time I would find prices under $3.00/lb I would stock up.
However SWMBO has banned me from all meat departments until I start emptying out our packed freezer.

Reactions: Marknmd
A shaved beef and cheese omelette sounds pretty good about now also.

Chris

So....after thinking on this a bit. Pretty much made my mind up that after I remove the tendon and separate the two muscles, I'm going to freeze the smaller roast for inda crock pot with root veggies for a meal at the camp when my buddy comes down saltwater fishing this year.

The larger muscle, I am going to trim it down and get a larger diameter piece shaped to dry cure for Bresaola. What I trim off, I'm going to cube and do a stew.

Whole rump roast on sale here for $2.99... I usually buy them whole, smoke then sous vide and either thick slice and serve with mashed potatoes and chef jimmyj's smokey Au Jus. or thin slice for po-boy sandwiches.

...unless someone has an idea for something different..... any opinions?
I love to make beef ham, I got this recipe from Duncan Henry, a great youtube channel by the way

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky