Some Questions about Cuts, Fat and Salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aro2220

Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
I've made beef jerky successfully a few times. I used inside round and flank steak. I always had salt in the recipe, usually in a soy sauce. Sometimes I used a meat tenderizer. 

I know that the reason you want to use a low fat cut of meat is because fat will gristles and goes rancid. But, doesn't that still take a little while?

What I mean is, if I took a cut with more fat in it -- like sirloin (it's on sale right now, inside round and flank is not), and I dried the meat...would that still be okay for a couple days? Beef jerky doesn't last very long around here...

Also, what if I didn't use any salt at all? I know if I wanted to keep this for a long period of time I would need salt and low fat...but what if I was planning on eating it all within a few days? Does anyone have any knowledge or experience about this?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky