Some of our members got to try out Todd's A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker - see what they thought of it!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jennio11

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Hi everyone!  Most of you may not know me, but I'm a member of the Huddler team and I work with our great sponsors here at SMF.  That means that, among others, I get to work with Todd Johnson of A-MAZE-N Products.  A few weeks ago, we asked some of our members here at SMF to try out the A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker.  After they got a chance to try it out a few times, we asked them to share their thoughts, results and QViews so that anyone who HASN'T experienced it can find out what they're missing.  Here's what they had to say!  Thanks so much to Todd and to all of our testers!  You can check out all of the A-MAZE-N Products here!

If you have tried out Todd's AMNPS and would like to leave a review, please do so as a reply to this thread or on the product page here!  We'd love to hear from you!

Got some Pitmaster blend going right now smoking some burgers....what a great smelling blend!!! Can't wait for those burger to be done!!! They sure started easier than the solid wood blends.

-          gotarace

My family had been complaining that my food was too smokey and did not want anything smoked until further notice… With great anticipation I loaded my new AMNPS with Todd's Pitmaster's Choice Pellets and proceeded to smoke up 4 racks of Spare Ribs today. I used a 4-2-.75 procedure and right up front, they all commented on the Sweet smell of the smoke. For the first time I was allowed to leave the door leading to the area where the smoker is, open. After 7 hours of smoke wafting through the house and neighborhood the Ribs were ready. With nervous anticipation I watched as 5 girls took their first few bites of the perfectly tender meat. After a few minutes the first bones hit the plate, all members of my picky family were unanimous in proclaiming the Ribs smoked with the Pitmaster's Choice...The best ribs ever!... Even with the 4 hour application of smoke up front, the rib were mildly smokey with a gentle fruity sweet finish, no bitterness at all… This wonderful combination of Hickory, Cherry and Maple is truly a winner and will very likely be the only flavor Pellets I will ever buy again.

Back on St. Patrick's Day I picked up 3 Corned Points, each about 4 lbs. I finally got around to Smoking one up to make Pastrami. I put together my Rub and gave the Beef a good schmear of Yellow Mustard. Applied the Rub liberally and let it rest while I fired up the MES and the AMNPS with 2 and 1/2 rows of the ever popular Pitmaster's Choice. Set the Temp set point at 220*F and let it go for 20 minutes the actual ran from 210 to 230*F then fired the AMNPS. The PMC lit fast and burned consistently in the slight breeze. The aroma is very pleasant with the distinct fruity notes of the Cherry and Maple with just a tickle of spice from the Hickory. This is truly a winner!

-          Chef JimmyJ

Isn't that just a beautiful color??  And the taste?  INDESCRIBABLE!  Absolutely delicious!  You can taste the subtle flavors of the mix of woods, yet they blend together beautifully!

-          Pops6927

I was somewhat surprised at the size of the device. I had expected something much larger. I guess big things do come in small packages.

In comparing it to my usual hot plate method here are my observations:

The AMNPS definitely does a much better job of cold smoking in mild weather. Temperatures were never a concern.

It is easier to use. Normally I would load a cast iron pan with chips and chunks, place some foil over the top, and then punch some holes in the foil. With the AMNPS, I just loaded some pellets and lit it.

-          Solaryellow

Bride just said, "That is the best smelling smoke that has ever come out of the smoker"  ..... How can you beat that !!!!!!!

The color is awesome... with salt only on them, the flavor is unbelievable.... no acrid creosote of "overly" smoked flavor.... I am impressed with the perfect smoke flavor and "Better Homes and Garden" perfect color.... Now I know the secret to smoking meat....

Things I learned....  "Pitmaster Blend Pellets" will provide the smoked food enthusiast with a very forgiving blend.....  The subtle flavor and aroma will please even your mother/father-in-law who still thinks you can't smoke food.... you can smoke the food for hours and there will be no acrid, creosote, bitter flavors...  You can double smoke the food and the dog will still like it and fight you for it.

I have built several smoke generators... None compare to this AMNPS of Todd's.....

-          Dave Omak

Bought some almonds to snack on during my flight to Israel. Never opened them. Came home and had a few. Not very smoky for Smokehouse Almonds.  What to do? I have an AMNPS and a cardboard box. Let's make these nuts smoky.

Totally way better now!

-          Alelover

Dave Omak

I'm always amazed at the perfect amount of smoke the AMNPS and Pitmasters Choice pellets puts out....

And the aroma is killer.... not acrid or stinging to the nose.... Sweet and mild.....

Ribs after 3 hours of Pitmasters Choice pellets.... started with a full row of pellets and 1 1/2 inches of row left....

I am sure the AMNPS will smoke for 11-12 hours on 1# of Pitmasters Choice pellets...  

The ribs have a great color and the smell of the smoke is awesome.

Last edited:
I have to agree with everything said so far. One thing I would like to add is that the AMNPS works EXACTLY as advertised... first time and every time. You put in the pellets of choice (I also love the Pitmaster's Blend), light one or both ends, let it flame for 5 - 10 minutes, then blow out the flame. For the next 10+ hours it will produce the perfect amount of smoke! It's so easy it almost feels like cheating.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

When I first saw the AMNPS I was intrigued and after doing a few long smokes on my GOSM I was more intrigued because I was getting tired of adding wood and trying to keep the smoke going. I wanted to do overnight smokes and get some sleep but if I had to keep adding wood that wasn't going to happen. So I started researching the AMNPS and propane smokers and was finding that they don't work very good together. With a lot of help from Todd, Eric (forluvofsmoke), NWDave and Pops' smokehouse I came up with a solution, an external fire box to place the AMNPS in.

Todd really helped me out a lot with this and made things much easier for me to complete this (I won't say what he did but it was an incredible act of customer service)!

The AMNPS has made smoking much easier and better for me. I can load it up and get 10 hours of perfect smoke. I have learned I can adjust the amount of smoke by lighting both ends or loading one full row and one half row and lighting both and get 1 1/2 hours of heavy smoke that will transition itself into 3 more hours of light smoke. I have also used it inside the smoke chamber for cold smoking cheese and the cheese came out wonderful!

The AMNPS is incredible and I can't see myself ever using chips or chunks again! And with Todd's customer service I will never buy pellets from any other source, even if they would be a lot cheaper. Customer service means a lot to me and I will pay a little more to get it, but with Amazen Products I don't think I'll have to do that, his prices are very reasonable! Oh, and I can't get the Pitmaster's Choice pellets anywhere else and the flavor they produce is delicious!

THANKS Todd! and everyone else who helped me to get this to work, it has taken my smoking to another level!!!

Here's a link if anyone is interested in how the AMNPS is working in my EFB:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/122647/amnps-in-my-gosm-rear-fire-box-mod-update-first-long-smoke

And a couple of Q-views of what the AMNPS has produced:

I've spent way more hours than I should have, sitting and making wood chips for my MES-40. Also, a local outlet had bags of wood chips on sale at a price so low it must have been a mistake so I bought a bunch of them as well. Then, because I wanted to be able to cold smoke cheese, I bought one of Todd's pellet smokers. The AMNPS did such a great job with the cheese I tried it for hot smoking some ribs, then some chicken, then some pork loins, shoulders, etc., etc. Now, my question is, what am I going to do with all those bags and boxes of wood chips? Thanks Todd for a great little piece of equipment.

Ross.

Southern Ontario, Canada.

This maze and tube works awsome. Great Job Todd.!!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
 And the customer service is 1st class.

Steve.

I have been using AMNS and AMNPS since the beginning. Being one of the guys that got to test out the prototypes was a lot of fun. I have been running it in my SmokinTex1400 and in my Cameron Smoke N Fold that I take with the motorhome. These units are awesome for both hot and cold smokes and Todd's customer service has always been top notch

I used to fight the burning questions when trying to learn how to smoke. Wet or dry chips? how long do I leave it in for? why won't they burn like they are supposed to? Why can't I get things the way I want them? Why is everything so smokey? Not anymore! I started with the AMNSsmoker and purchased the AMNPS shortly after.

My family raved over how I improved! I even bought my kids the AMNPS for Christmas and they love it.

Great Job Todd and THANKS!

I bought the AMNPS after seeing it talked about here and again seeing it in the new COOK BOOK ( which is AMAZING ). I love it!!! I have done cheese and now use it instead of my chip box in my smoker. The AMNPS works great at upto 245deg. so far and when your doing a brisket you dont have to stay up all night adding chips any longer.That alone is worth the price. I whole heartedly stand by this amazing product and to top it off. When I shot off an e-mail to the owner of AMNPS I had a reply within a few hours NOT DAYS. With his attention to detail and the care he has for his customers I will be singing his praise to all my smoking buddies.

I love the Ease and Results i get with Todd's little miracle the AMNPS. I still use my original version of the AMAZEN with dust for shorter cold smokes or quick hot smokes...but if you want 10 hours of consistent thin blue smoke... you will looking a long time to find any product that compares to http://www.amazenproducts.com/  line of smoke generators. Todd's line of smoke generators are second to none...built with high quality materials...and the customer service is in a class of it's own...you have a problem or question you won't have either for long!!!

Let's talk quality of the pellets and dust for a bit...These products are 100% of the wood you order...you order hickory dust.. it is pure hickory dust. Not a blend of hickory and a cheaper filler wood. You order pellets expect more of the same..100% of the wood you order. I don't know about you but i love having the confidence and piece of mind that when i feed my friends or family food i smoked.... there was no strange fillers or binders holding the pellets together. 

I was lucky enough to be included in a test of Todd's new blend of pellets...PITMASTER'S CHOICE. What a great combination of woods..1/3 hickory...1/3 cherry...1/3 maple. The flavor combination here is spot on...a mild sweet smoke flavor...not a overpowering in your face smoke explosion. It really blends well with most meats and cheese. The smell of the burning pellets coming out of your smoker is unreal... i have found myself standing in the thin blue smoke just enjoying the sweet aroma. Enough about the product lets look at a few results...

Ribs checked at the 2 hour mark on my MES 30...2 different types of rub.

Belly Bacon cold smoked with Pitmaster's Choice for 12 hours...nice color...great flavor!!!

Sirloin Tip roast...smoked with Pitmaster's choice...sliced thin for roast beef sammies!!!

Sliced thin...served on french rolls...cheese and Au Jus...awesome!!!

This blend will not disappoint...a nice balance of smoke and flavor.

I have to say i have bought many products for smoking meat and the Amazen line of products have been one of the best "bang for your buck" products i have purchased for my smoker. Thank you Todd for providing a product that turned my ho-hum MES smoker into a quality smoking machine!!! I really need to get me a new tube pellet smoker and complete my line of Amazen smoke generators...i bet it would work wonders on my gas grill!!!

Len

I was a skeptic when the AMNS first came out. One of the members won one at the N.Florida gathering and gave it to me.

Used it in My MES 40 and it worked great. Now i have the AMNPS and use it for both hot and cold smokes,

The only draw back i ever felt that existed w/ The MES was the fact that you had to feed it chips every 45 min / hour.

Now w/ the AMNPS i can do all night smokes and not have to stay awake or wake up every hour.

The pitmaster blend is great on every thing i have tried it on.

Will be smoking pastrami w/ the AMNPS and the pit master pellets tomorrow.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK TODD!!!

I was a skeptic when the AMNS first came out. One of the members won one at the N.Florida gathering and gave it to me.

Used it in My MES 40 and it worked great. Now i have the AMNPS and use it for both hot and cold smokes,

The only draw back i ever felt that existed w/ The MES was the fact that you had to feed it chips every 45 min / hour.

Now w/ the AMNPS i can do all night smokes and not have to stay awake or wake up every hour.

The pitmaster blend is great on every thing i have tried it on.

Will be smoking pastrami w/ the AMNPS and the pit master pellets tomorrow.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK TODD!!!
Updates expected!

I love the Pitmaster's Choice and I love Pastrami but haven't tried the two together yet so I am interested in this!

Last edited:
Only good things to say so far about my new AMZNPS.  Was in a littel hurry with lighting and found that wasn't good, but once I FOLLOWED the directions and was more patiet, I had breat smoke that lasted a long time.  Additionally, I spoke with Todd on the phone...GREAT customer service. 

Thanks Todd

~Dave

I have been using Todds AMZNS/PS for a couple years now with great results. Used in my smokehouse, Bradley, Master Forge Gasser and soon my WMSJ/JR Mod.

Here is the AMZNPS cold smoking some cheese and pickles in my Bradley. I used some ice to keep the pickles moist.

Todd has a great cold smoker product and i'm 100% satisfied.....Thanks Todd

I have to say that I have used this product many times, I have never been able to keep the pellets going no matter how hard I try. I have tried everything. I do however like it with the dust, works great every time.

15 lbs of pastrami smoked w/ the pit master blend . Smoked to 165 -170 then steamed to 190. will slice and pkg tomorrow.

Great flavor and not bad for my first time from a brisket

I have to say that I have used this product many times, I have never been able to keep the pellets going no matter how hard I try. I have tried everything. I do however like it with the dust, works great every time.
Have you spoke with Todd about your situation ???  He may have a solution for you to try....   Dave

Follow instructions to the letter. I have a masterbuilt 40.I pull out the chip tray and set the amnps right on the box over the air intake. I dont use water and i pull the chip loader out about 1 inch. I havent had it go out once in 20 or so times using it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky