Some of our members got to try out Todd's A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker - see what they thought of it!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
S2K9K initial review hinted at a problem with this and propane smokers- seemed like he had to make a mod to make it work - is there a problem using it out of the box with propane smokers? was looking to buy one today to avoid having to stoke my smoker with wood at all times of night - THANKS for your help
I would like to know this as well.  I have a propane smoker and would love to "set it and forget it" for smoke!
I hinted at this because  I had read in many many threads in this search:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search.php?search=AMNPS+and+propane

Eric (forluvofsmoke), NWDave and Todd have done extensive testing with this and if you read Eric's and Dave's threads they explain it very well. In my quest to use the AMNPS the 3 of them gave me some great advice, we exchanged many PM's and I learned a lot. After I made my mods and was sure it was going to work Todd really stepped up with some more great help. Then just my luck, after all the research, building and testing the Tube comes out and it wasn't long after that I started reading how well it was working in propane smokers. I'm still very happy with what I have but if I had the choice to making the mods for the AMNPS or just throw a Tube in and go. I would choose the Tube. So any of you propane users who are on the fence about the Tube I would just go ahead and get one. I don't think you will be sorry!

Propane smokers use up most of the available oxygen, and leave little oxygen for the AMNPS to burn

The Tube Smoker has done well in a propane smoker

TJ
Thanks for the info.  I just ordered the 18 inch tube smoker and a variety of pellets.  Can't wait to give them a try.  I am getting better at keeping a constant temp in my gasser so with the tube smoker it won't be long before I can actually sleep while the cook is progressing!

I've used the AMNPS twice now and it produces just the right amount of smoke.  No problems with it going out on my MES40, followed the suggestions I read here, pulled the chip tray out an inch as well as the loader.  Great product, love the Pittmaster's choice.  It fits perfectly on the bottom rails of the MES40, like it was made for that spot.  It also appears to be pretty indestructible, so I'll plan to put it in my Will to pass on to future generations of bbq'ers.  Thanks, Todd.

New to this forum and smoking but have to add how impressed I am with the pellet smoker. The short story; Just used it today with my Weber gas grill and got some very good ribs.

The long story.

The past few weeks I have been reading this forum and wanting to get into smoking, in particular ribs and brisket.  So last Tuesday I finally decided to get a MES 30 and a AMNPS.  My AMNPS arrived on friday but the smoker is not due to next week at the soonest.  With it's arrival I soon began craving smoked ribs.  On Saturday I came up with a plan, I bought some ribs from the store, some rub from a local BBQ joint, and puzzled over how to use my gas grill to smoke. Checked it for temperature and where the knobs should go to have a certain set temperature and burned in the ANMPS.

The grill has an open bottom that goes to a collector/funnel and into a drip pan.  What I came up with was putting the ANMPS in the collector piece, setting the grill to around 225 and placing the ribs over the burner that was off.  It worked out very well as shown from the picture below.  I would not say they were great, but they were very good.  

Now I am even more confident of what I can do with my new smoker.

Hello, I am new to this forum, but have been using Todd's AMNPS for almost a year now.  I was so impressed with this little wonder, I talked a few of my friends into buying one as well.  I have a MES 30 and love not having to dump chips every hour now.  A few things I noticed about the AMNPS when hot smoking though was that I could only get around 4-6 hours of smoke time when  using the AMNPS on a hot smoke.  Another problem I had was when doing long cold smokes, the pellets would raise the internal temp a little more then I liked. I did however come up with a fix to all these problems that now gives me between 14-16 hours on a single load with my AMNPS.  I thought I would share it with you all.  I call it the Mail box mod! 

Now I can do true cold smokes as well as hot smokes with water, and have no issues at all getting that beautiful thin blue smoke!  Thanks Todd for a great product.

Chris,  evening.... Great innovative adaptation to the MES..... I like it.... I think I will try that on mine.....   Dave

nice mod. you just never know what youll see next. good for cheese i bet. no heat at all. i used the amnps i won in the july throwdown to smoke my sept throwdown entry.

In one of the posts here, a member said that there's no creosote or acrid flavors with the AMNPS. I heartily agree! I just talked to a friend last night who was complaining about that problem with his smoker. I wished I had read this thread before today because I forgot to tell him about Todd's AMAZEN products. I need to get his email address.

I love my AMNPS and Todd's wood pellets. I've done test smokes using that and using wood chips with my MES 30 and I get the same great flavors with the AMNPS with less work. With the pellet smoker, I just pour on enough pellets for my smoke and that's it. With wood chips it seems like I have to refill the tray every 20 minutes or so. So far I've smoked briskets and spareribs using the AMNPS. Looking at the mouthwatering pics here, I need to expand my meat choices. I'm about to do my first cheese cold smoking this weekend.  I am very grateful for Todd's genius and his outstanding customer service. .

When I first joined this forum, Todd's name and A-Maze-N and AMPNS all popped up in different threads. I had just bought my MES 30 and thought wood chips were the way to go. I asked some questions about Todd and the AMNPS and to a person everyone raved about him and his smoker and his dust and pellets and his customer service. They were right on all counts.

With the AMNPS, I just fill it with the amount of pellets I'm going to need, and then set the torch to it to light it up. 10 minutes later, it's ready to go into my MES. I shut the door and that's really about it till I'm done smoking several hours later. With wood chips, I'm loading them into the smoker about every 20 minutes it seems like.

But I think more than selling great products, Todd gives probably the best customer service I've ever experienced, and that doesn't just include handling questions about the AMNPS, but also questions regarding smoking food. He's the man of experience talking and I've learned so much from him. I just email him with a question and get a response usually the same day.

Todd has made my smoking experience more fun--and more tasty. Thank you, Todd, for everything.

I can't say enough about the AMNPS and Todd.  The product is terrific and works exactly as stated.  The service is always reliable and the shipping is fast.  The meats done with the AMNPS have just the right amount of smokey flavor.  I really love the Apple and Maple.  I just received the PitMaster Blend and am anxious to try it next. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky